Need urgent help with my 9D Plus update

RichB

I have attempted to update my recently purchased 9D Plus 2.1.6. I downloaded the Open Tx Companion and switched into Bootloader mode, connected the USB cable and now the Tx just shows USB Connected. I cannot switch the Tx off and my laptop just says USB device not recognised.

Help! What can I do to fix it?

Sorry if I have been a bit vague, but I am in a bit of a panic!

Advert

That is normal. The TX is in bootloader mode. The firmware update is done with the TX OFF using the Write firmware to radio option; 3rd from bottom icon on the left hand side task bar.

The bootloader is used to read/write model configurations to the radio.

Rob

Edited By TigerOC on 19/01/2018 22:06:47

Edited By TigerOC on 19/01/2018 22:07:32

I thought I had posted my thanks to all on Sunday, but that post hasn't appeared for some reason.

I would still like to say how much all the responses were appreciated.

I have now upgraded to 2.1.9 but had to do it in bootloader mode which raises another question. Do I always have to disconnect the battery to get out of bootloader mode?

No. Did you also upgrade the bootloader? If you upgraded through the bootloader, it would not update the bootloader itself. As I said the problem was probably the faulty bootloader.

While you are at it, you might as well go to OpenTX 2.2. There's a few extra twiddly bits make it worthwhile, and it gets harder to upgrade the more models you add onto the system sometimes due to some features changing slightly. For instance, on 2.2 the filelength for sounds and pictures has reduced to 6 characters from 7, so you have to go through your models and change the pictures and sound commands.

Edited By Andy48 on 22/01/2018 14:57:00

I don't think so. After entering boot loader mode and connecting to your PC, once you've finished whatever task you wanted to do you should safely eject the two drives from file manager then disconnect the USB, the Taranis screen should then give you a menu option to "exit" hit this and it should start up.

Look at the documentation I gave the link to above. That tells you how to update the bootloader. Its probably easier if you print it out. Use method 2 on page 10, but only update ther bootloader not all the firmware at this stage.

Given the fact your bootloader is probably faulty, its better to copy the files onto the SD card by taking the card out of the transmitter and putting it directly in the computer.

Once this is done, you can easily check the bootloader version number by going into the bootloader itself. If it has updated you should then be able to update firmwares normally. .... hopefully sarcastic 2

I've followed the instructions and removed the SD card. I've downloaded & copied the .bin file to the card and can then see it in the "Write Firmware" list when back in bootloader mode. If I then click on the "ENT" button it tells me to Hold ENT to start writing. If I do this it says "Writing Complete" but it is still at Bootloader 2.1.6. I've tried it several times with the same result.

I'm now getting frustrated with the darn thing.

Any further ideas?

Ah! "can then see it in the "Write Firmware" list when back in bootloader mode" There is your problem. The bootloader cannot update itself whilst it is being used.

If you read the documentation carefully, to update just the bootloader, you load the firmware onto the SD card as you have done, and then switch on the Taranis normally and update the bootloader. Go to page 10 of the documentation and follow steps 7 and 8.

Its easy really. wink

Doh! I can't believe how many times I've read that bootloader can't be updated when in bootloader mode and there I was trying to do just that!

It took a few seconds when I got home and worked as it should (of course).

Once again, many thanks for your help. It really is much appreciated.