Hangar 9 P-47D Thunderbolt, .60 Size ARTF

Simon Knight

Does anyone have a good condition cowling (black and white checks) or know where I can get one or if there is an alternative please?

I got this model second hand, had a crash on maiden due to a duff flight battery and after repair had an issue with the receiver too, so swapped it out. She now flies beautifully and I would like to pretty her up a bit. The cowl is fibre glass and chipped and cracked now which is a shame.

I may try and cover it, but with the nice curves at the front it may prove too difficult and more unsightly.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Hi Simon,

Did you have any luck acquiring a new cowl for your Thunderbolt..?

I have the same model and have patched up a few squares on mine over the years, other minor scuffs just add to it's charm.

I've been flying my model on it's great matching RCV91CD over 7 years now with no issues at all. The supplied electric retracts work flawlessly still. One issue I need to be aware of is it's lack of flaps on light wind days making it come in pretty quickly, the thick wing section does allow a decent flare though along with the large 14" prop disk. I've overshot into the long stuff more with this model than any other over the years..! My new club's tarmac runway means I have a decent walk to retrieve it each landing now..!

Good luck if you still fly yours...yes

David