Isn't it Always the Way?

Braddock, VC

A couple or three weeks ago I finally decided to build my 1/4 scale zlin. I decided I needed something aerobatic to hone my skills during the build so I bought a 60 sized extra 300s from wholesale planes. The first one they sold me was a return from a disastisfied customer so had to be returned, the second one was shy of the wing joiner, not a very good start.

Half way through the build of this extra I got an e-mail asking if the zlin was still for sale having been in the ads section for almost 15 months, so I sold the zlin to someone not a million miles away on this forum.

I finally got the extra together a day before I went on holiday and it flew late afternoon in the expert hands of our club stalwart.

I have powered it with a mk 1 Irvine 60 that I got for a tenner and it was simply too loud on the standard silencer. As the noise devil's advocate in our club I had no option but to ground it until I could aquire an effective silencer. I ordered a minipipe from Westons and they are making it for me, delivery being next week! The ten quid engine has now cost me £50.00 but it is such a powerful thing I don't begrudge it at all. The plane flew fine incidentally and, at my request, my mate snap spun her several times proving the structure is strong enough for me, vertical performance was "adequate" so I'm well pleased with it and look forward to flying it next week, weather permitting.

As a "trenner" for the zlin it is/was totally the wrong choice as the z 526 uses its wing to provide its flying ability rather than the power of the engine as in the extra but I'm quite pleased as it does fly slowly but not as slowly as I remember seeing one of the zlins fly; as the title says, isn't it always the way?