Pizza Box Flyer

Advert

A very square aeroplane. Another 3 hour build. Sometimes I am not able to get into the workshop to do the serious builds so this provides a little light relief.

Full house controls for this one.

I got the dimensions from the spad2thebone website. It is twenty inches square.

The same motor as my other foamboard models, a 2822 size outrunner.

Orange rx. Plush esc.hobbyking 9g servos.

1mm welding rod pushrods, restrained by a few tie wraps. The tie wraps work better when there is a central spine to stick them to. I should have put one on this. I may yet add one.

It weighs about 400g.

The original was 24" square and powered by an os 40 fp! I expect this to be quite floaty. More later when it has flown. ..

Pepperoni of course!

A couple of notes to add to the above:

I used a foamboard U-channel "spine" underneath the flat wing, to keep everything straight and provide something to hide servo wires in and something to glue the motor mount to and something to hold onto to launch it. By making the spine about 1-1/2" wide, and 1" deep (including the wing) it also makes a decent enough landing skid, a space to hide the bottom of the servos and their wiring in, and is big enough for a 4mm ply motor mount to stick on the front of. It also makes a reasonable place to hide the lipo in, right at the leading edge. It is just folded from foamboard.

The 1mm pushrods rods are very flexible. The tie wrap restraints are "ok" and work best when they are only about 1/2" from the foamboard surface, but I'm still looking for a better answer for these foamboard quickies, if anyone has one.

• 3 weeks later...

Maiden done!

One word - madness!

A lot of fun.

I will need to fit a different motor though. It does not have enough to pull vertically from a harrier or hover. Hover takes near full power. So I think a different motor and shooting for 150w will be the answer.

Had a few more goes today. Increased movement to about 60deg on all surfaces - perfect. I also cleaned the muck off the prop, which made quite a difference.

This thing really encourages totally daft flying.

I spent most of the flights harrier/hovering at just a few inches above the grass.

A few donks, but at near zero forward speed and near zero height, nothing gets damaged. Pick up, relaunch, continue with the absurd.

Absolutely brilliant fun!