Graupner MZ 12 Pro TX/Falcon 12 receiver

I got one of these combos from Airtek last year and have only just got round to installing the receiver in a plane (a HK Tundra).

I've fathomed out most of the features but I'm struggling with two issues:

1. It doesn't seem possible to mix down elevator with 45 deg flaps - it only mixes on full flaps. (using 3 position switch).

2. I just can't fathom how to get into the stabilisation menu to set up the Falcon 12 in this mode.

I can't really recommend this combo. There is no servo slow and there are only the two sticks plus one rotary control. All the rest of the channels have to be controlled by switches or mixes. The instructions (pdf download) are not well translated and seem to miss out stages. There doesn't seem to be much UK support either. I confess to being easily confused by the two level programming - some processes can be programmed in the tx and others in the rx using the tx.

On the plus side the transmitter appears to be well made, is quite light to carry around and has a good range. These plus points mean that I will probably just use it as an expensive 2 channel job for RC IOM yacht racing, where I've lost signal using a Spectrum DX8 and carrying a TX round ones neck for 3 hours certainly makes the weight an important factor.

I would certainly appreciate comments and tips from other users.

Hi,

I too recently bought the same kit and have found it "difficult" to understand. I have made progress but it has been slow. I agree with you as to the available information and the translations. First off I would recommend, if not already done, you update to latest Tx S/W. Mine was not. Version 1v039 is latest.

I have nearly managed to setup the gyro - one of the reasons I bought it - but still working on it. Worked out how to setup the 3 axis but not yet how to set a switch to control whether it's on or not.

I agree about confusion as to where the data is, as in Tx or Rx, not yet worked out the benefit yet.

I would really like to have a document that explained why I would want to use some of the functions. I'm a Dx8 user and that was easy to follow.

Not sure about the number switches available or how they are intended to be used. i.e. why have a 3 position switch with one position momentary?

Maybe we can work it out together. Cheers.

Ian,

Been playing again today with the gyro settings. Finally cracked it! Worked out how to drive the gyro so that you can fly and adjust the gyro sensitivity at same time. Able to adjust each axis individually. Need to use the rotary control, which I wanted to use for flaps, but assume that after deciding what sensitivity to use then can revert back to flaps. Switching the gyro states took a bit longer but using the 3 position switch can get gyro modes 0,1 and 2.

If you want a detailed description of how to, then let me know.

Still miffed that the Tx does not have more switches or rotary knobs though. Cheers. Nik.

Ian,

Your comment on programming data in Tx or Rx, which confused me also, reminded me of the AS3X which I installed in a model. To install the AS3X the instructions are that the Tx is left as default and the programming goes on in the Rx via a PC or smart phone. The reason was if the gyro is part of the Rx then externally (i.e. Tx) programmed data will not work properly, or confuses it. The programming of the Rx was not convenient as I had to use a PC on the flight line to adjust settings. The app did not work on an Android phone.

I have used successfully an external gyro which connects between Rx and servo. With this setup the normal Tx programming applies.

The Graupner method of programming Rx using the Tx via the telemetry system is far better than the Spektrum approach. Spektrum have introduce a new bluetooth device to allow Rx programming but I've not used it. I still have to use a channel to switch gyro functions so the 6ch Rx is effectively a 5ch Rx. Graupner get round this problem by having the 6ch Rx able to use use more channels for control purposes. So the Falcon 12 is still a useable 6ch control surfaces Rx.

Graupner is growing on me. Cheers, Nik.

• 3 years later...
On 21/03/2019 at 21:30, Nik Harrison said:

Ian,

Been playing again today with the gyro settings. Finally cracked it! Worked out how to drive the gyro so that you can fly and adjust the gyro sensitivity at same time. Able to adjust each axis individually. Need to use the rotary control, which I wanted to use for flaps, but assume that after deciding what sensitivity to use then can revert back to flaps. Switching the gyro states took a bit longer but using the 3 position switch can get gyro modes 0,1 and 2.

If you want a detailed description of how to, then let me know.

Still miffed that the Tx does not have more switches or rotary knobs though. Cheers. Nik.

Hi Nik. I am struggeling with the same problem. I cannot program the gyro settings. Is it possible that you could guide me through the process?

Best regards Grunde Tidem Norway