Balsa Cabin Mini Glider

Advert

Hi Karl

Thanks for the reply. Beginning to think I was the only one to buy one of these kits.

Anyway, my kit is with the couriers and should be with me soon. Will give it a good dose of looking at when it arrives.

Meanwhile interested to hear what mods you made to the structure.

Not averse to making changes myself, either for strength reasons, or different build techniques. Would like to see what you did.

Thanks

Jeff

20200119_180048.jpg20200119_180007.jpg20200119_175935.jpg20200119_175856.jpg20200119_175840.jpg20200119_175814.jpg20200119_175805.jpgHi Jeff. Take a few pictures of some of the mods I've made. Made the vertical fin by sandwiching several pieces of balsa together with the snake running through it to hopefully improve on the original push rod layout. Decided to use 2 servos for the ailerons instead of torque rods. Will add some more pictures of the wing when I've got it assembled. Added a lite ply horizontal plate to sit the receiver,battery, speed controller and elevator servo. Set the width to suit the 3s 1300 lipo pack I'm going to use. Added a new motor former out of my spares box with some balsa triangle to allow the front to be shaped more. Added my own top hatch to allow access for mounting my speed controller , this will be covered over once speed controller is tested and fitted. The bottom hatch has a magnet and give access for fitting motor and battery. I've got a few pics of the tail during construction which I'll upload once I find them. Not sure how it's all going to balance but I've tried to allow for a variable battery position.

Karl20200119_175738.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi Jeff. Here's a picture of the aileron linkage. Ailerons are top hinged with Diamond tape. I made the aileron horns out of some fibreglass plate. I put the servos well forward to help with the balance as the 3 cell Lipo will be lighter than the nicad pack it was originally designed to use. 20200408_200542.jpgIts worked out okay as I've been able to balance the glider by just positioning the Lipo, no need to add any weight. Hope this helps.

Karl

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Karl

The Mini Glider going together slowly, but I have a puzzle you might be able to help with.
So, looking at the supplied wing, it is marked 'Top of Wing'. Seemed a bit odd, after all the wing is supposed to be a flat plate, until I noticed that the wing does have a distinct chordwise bow about 3mm or so at its highest.
Gradually fades to flat going spanwise.
Really can't imagine this is deliberate, more like last bit of wood in the box, but it would explain the marking.
Can you recall whether you found the same with yours?
I notice you are using two wing bolts rather than the supplied items, which is an idea I am copying, but this would tend to flatten out any bow in the wing, if (IF) it's deliberate.

Your thoughts?

Jeff

Hi Jeff. When I bought mine from the Balsa Cabin, Dave explained that the top of the wing is profiled. He suggested that if I was going to be using a fast motor setup to add a carbon spar. The tips of my wing were slightly bowed upward when on the bench.I cut the slot for my carbon tube spar, 5od x 3 id, which I glued in place with epoxy, and then weighted the wing down on a flat surface while the glue cured.

Karl

• 2 years later...