Failsafe...no idea

Foxfan

Posted by Steve J on 22/02/2020 21:28:18:
Posted by Peter Jenkins on 22/02/2020 12:32:05:

What gaining a B does is to help you to fly an aircraft while you are under full control of it at all times. That is, that you can fly in a straight line parallel to the flight line in use (surprisingly difficult for many pilots), conduct a manoeuvre at a place of your choosing and not where the aircraft happens to be, and to take off and land in a straight line even in a cross wind. The added bonus is that you are less likely to resort to a black bin bag! It also helps to to think about what you want to achieve in each flight before you get airborne. All good reasons for training to fly the B to a pass standard - nothing to do with flashy low level stuff whether 3D or other!

I have flown with a few 'B' cert holders and I think that this is complete nonsense. All that having a 'B' cert means is that one or two people were prepared to sign a bit of paper.

Steve, I'd agree with you as regards those who gain a B then do nothing with the skills they have learned. It's a bit like an MoT - good on the day it is achieved. There is nothing to tell you about the current B holders flying capability. I did suggest to the ASRC that they offer a B(current) rating that would say something about the holders' current ability, but that was turned down. In my little niche of competition aerobatics, unless you practice regularly, skills fade reduces the scores you can achieve which either leads to an increase in practice to improve or else giving up competition flying.

I have seen some pilots who hold a B but who struggle to fly an A schedule! That's a comment on them and not the B scheme.