Just go my fist Heli, Shuttle, any advise and help?

Andrew Cole

Dear All,

I have just bought a second hand Shuttle heli, with all the radio gear, gyro, engine etc and starting stuff.

It is quite old and dusty, and the engine needs freeing up, but at £100 couldn't realy say no.

I intend to strip down some of the heli, remove the engine and clean it up check it all works and put it back together again.  The radio is Sanwa, none computer, but I assume reasonably well set up - is there any point getting a computer radio if this one works OK?  Can anyone tell me if spare parts are still available as am aware the Shuttle V2 is now available replacing the Shuttle?  Is it a good model to learn on, or should I sell the bits and buy a new one?

Thank you for any help,

Andy

Advert

Hi Andy, The problem with buying second-hand helicopters is that if they're old and well used you can quite easily end up spending the cost of a new one getting them restored to a reasonable flying condition. To be honest, unless you can get it up and running reliably without shelling out more than £100 or £150, I'd seriously consider selling it and buying new. See if you can get someone with a bit of experience to look at it for you and advise what needs doing. At least then you'll know if it's worth continuing. Basic things to check: main and tail shaft for bends, receiver (throw the crystals away and buy new), battery pack (probably worth replacing even if it appears to work!), switch harness, engine (if you can free it up, change the plug), tail drive belt, flybar (for bends), gyro (if it makes a whirring noise when you switch the radio on it'll be a mechanical gyro and that'll give you a good idea that the helicopter is pretty old), fuel tank plumbing (replace it for new), transmitter battery, clutch lining (while you've got the engine out). Incidentally, you can check the accuracy of the main shaft and tail shaft by rolling them over a piece of sheet glass. If they're bent you'll soon see! I take it you've got a set of building instructions? As far as I'm aware Shuttle parts are still available and since the machine hasn't altered significantly in recent years it's possible that you'll still get the parts you need. If you take a photo of it and post it on the site I, or someone else, should be able to give you a rough idea of its age. I could go on, although I hope that helps a bit? Good luck Graham

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your help.  Really helpful!  I have started stripping the heli down today but took some snap shots which I will post tomorrow.  I think it is quite an early heli, but hardly had any use.

I will give more details and pic tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Andy