Any PC whizz`s out there?

Gary Murphy 1

I'd really like to see what would happen with a Linux Mint USB stick, whether it would go straight away. I suspect Yes.

Trying it that way could sort out whether it is the hardware or software - at the cost of a USB stick.

I've had Windows kill too many things when Mint would simply run everything - and be as easy or easier to use than Windows..... However -

Browser - would it be worth trying Chrome? What version number of Firefox do you have? The latest is 78.

Clean install? You can run both systems on the same hard disk and boot the system you want - providing you have enough room i.e. about 70GB minimum. Linux can read the Windows partitions but not the other way. Alternative, buy a SSD and get a really fast laptop out of it, up to 10x faster opening things, especially with Linux Mint.

Advert

Wired links are better anyway.

I run  very high resolution Hi-Fi on Windows  and wouldn't dream of using a wireless network except for the Apple iPad I use as  a  'controller'.

Only the control signals, which are  intermittent,  go though that. The actual music, which is stored  on IBM 'WAV' files (the 'sound'  industry standard) doesn't.

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 22/07/2020 06:45:36

Posted by Gary Murphy 1 on 22/07/2020 09:10:09:

Alex, regards the mention mint Linux,sounds good but have no real idea of how you go about all that. I would more than likely mess that up and have not working laptop at all.

Which is why the suggestion, if you want to try, just use a USB stick, install an .iso file on it. The stick is the computer. If you can't get it to go, no loss. If it does go you can find out what it is like with no commitment.

It should, if it goes, point to where the problems are. No problem then it is Microsoft. If a problem it is the router/modem or internet supplier.

If it looks good there should be someone around who can help with the next step. There's a very good discussion forum about it.

Gary

Another thought - run windows trouble shooter, ther is one fir software and hardware.

If it finds an issue it will reinstall software drivers etc

If above fails i can walk tou thru using Mint.

I use it for my online banking as loves on the usb anything i do on line is disgarded when you logoff

DJC