Flying after eye surgery

Dave S.

Does anyone have experience of surgery to re-attach a retina? I was diagnosed with a partially detached retina in my right eye a couple of days ago and yesterday had surgery to repair it. I have a bag of eye drops to take for the next few weeks, but was wondering whether anyone else has had this and how long it took to be able to see well enough to fly models again. After the surgery, my surgeon told not to fly anywhere, and it took me a few minutes to realise she meant airlines, not models!

My right eye is currently so blurred that I can't even trust myself with tools to build anything, but was looking forward to getting back out soon.

Advert

I had a severe detachment that required a two and a half hour operation under general anaesthetic! I was very lucky not to lose the eye and am so grateful to a remarkable surgeon. Because of the severity they used a much heavier gas to create the bubble and it took about 2 months for the black disc to disappear as the gas was absorbed. I was then cleared to drive and fly without having to worry.  I have annual checks, using the best possible equipment, paying special attention to the repaired retina. 

Sounds like yours was straightforward and under local anaesthetic. You should be fine in 2 - 4 weeks.  Please follow the advice you have been given. Don’t rush it - eyes are precious. 

• Thanks 1

The majority of drops used post surgery will cause blurred vision so at this point it's just too early to tell if any longstanding visual damage. Unless massive detachment or in crucial area unlikely.  Even if one eye is damaged the other eye takes over most roles and becomes more dominant so I very much doubt you're grounded indefinitely. It's just a waiting game. 

I remember once doing a joint consult for a patient who was about two weeks post heart bypass. The other doctor asked at the end if the patient had any questions. He asked when was the right time to "resume relations" with his wife to which my colleague inadvertently replied "just wait until you're feeling yourself again and it will be fine". Which actually was kind of correct- there's no set timescale for recovery post surgery,  just take it slowly and the body makes it obvious when things are possible again.