Hat Camera

Hi, everyone - there is a wealth of info on camera and situations with suchlike  on the forum, but what I need is examples/combinations of hat cameras for one-person usage. Where I fly, it's not always possible to get someone else to film, so I need a 'hatcam' setup. I know Andrew Newton in Oz has had good success, also Nigel with his Gluen'go Mig 29 down in the Venta area, but wondered if anyone has used maybe a  Mobius on a hat, or just a 'cube' type GO cam etc.? Also, any vid examples, please? Cheers, Den, Abertawe.

Advert

I video almost every week for my YouTube channel. I currently use a GoPro 7 with a GoPro hat clip. This slides onto the front of a peaked cap and so makes it very easy to reach up and turn the camera on/off. The stabilisation of the GoPro 7, 8 & 9 means that there is no awful bouncing if you are walking with the camera on. I have also just purchased a Ulanzi cage so that I can add a Rode Go 2 wireless mic so I can mic up myself and a flying buddy so that we can both chat on the video without getting too much wind noise as most of my videos are on windy slopes. I can also take the camera out of this cage and fit it into another cage, with the wireless mics and onto a selfie stick for looking into the camera and chatting. One tip for you is to film in 4K, (if your computer & editing suite supports this) as your model will look very far away. Filming in 4K means you can zoom in by 50% in post editing without losing any sharpness or quality and your model isn't a dot on the horizon. 

Check out my videos to see.  HERE