British Drone Flyers, a new BMFA Membership type.

andyh

20 hours ago, Dave Bran said:

Yes, Well.  I fly pretty much all types of UAS. In the last two years just as much time on multirotors as anything else. My "main" club agreement (I'm a member of three clubs) has an agreement with local ATC for multirotors covers sub 150 feet and no autonomous flight systems (fixed wing and rotary 300 feet), so we fly minimum gyro freestyle/race quadcopters, basically fixed wing level of control, no auto hover, no auto height management, no return to home, no auto landing, no waypoint flying. The skill requirement is near the same as fixed or rotary wing, likely higher since we are always fast and low.

Since we have been lectured at for seemingly forever that all UAS are "drones", what is the BMFA considering a "drone" now. And please BMFA give specific demarcation so it is absolutely clear what is a "drone" and what is not in your parlance. And not only here, I expect a comprehensive issued to all members explanation that is much clearer than the current.

Finally, since I fly all types under existing BMFA membership, I assume I'll have access to this splinter group's (there are no other suitable words IMO) newsletter, etc, and if not, why not?

I seem to recall that a major issue that caused us in part at least to be embroiled in all of this, was that no one was able to come up with a satisfactory description that would legally be able to separate (identify?)  Drones from  model aeroplanes, hence all lumped together as we are now. Quite extraordinary when you think about it, so I doubt if any specific demarcation will be available now - and does it really matter anyway seeing as we are where we are?

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...