Using imax B6 to charge A123s

Chris Card

Advert

Ok, my mistake - now I look at the menu there is indeed a way to choose Lipo or Li-ion or LiFE, it's just in the programming menu not in the bit where you normally choose battery type.  Had me a bit confused that did!

And you're correct you choose 3.3V but that's the nominal not the cut off voltage.

I would not advise it personally. The LiFe charge algorithm is different to that of lithium polymer. Lithium chargers work on the CC CV method ( constant current followed by constant voltage ) and the charger could soon reach the CV stage whereby it will be pumping 4.2V in to the cells.

LiFe cells are damaged if the applied voltage exceeds 3.7V.

Furthermore, if the pack is not well balanced ( and they DO go out of balance believe you me - despite what others may claim) a cell which may be already higher than the others in the pack could very soon and very easily receive a voltage way above 3.7V, whilst the others are "normal". The only way to avoid this is by using a charger which actually charges each cell seperately via the balnacing leads- FMA cell pro for instance.

So, without all the waffle - NO ( ooooh waffles )