DX7 is NOT compatible with the DX6i

Tim Mackey

Here is an e-mail I sent to H/H and the resulting short and rather useless reply I received back.

If I had known of this stupid lack of consistency I would not have bought a DX6i, but instead, saved up a little more and got another DX7.

Watch the ads as I may well do that now Annoyed I am.

-----Original Message-----Sent: 10 November 2008 14:39To: John NorrisSubject: FW: DX6i versus DX7

Hello John, as you know I have been a long time user (2 years +) of the DX7 Tx and happily fly all 14 of my models on various Spektrum receivers. I have recently bought my wife a DX6i and find a strange situation when trying to set it up to use elevon style models. With the DX 7 I plug in the servos as per the manual set Delta wing mix, and away we go - easy.When doing the same with the DX6i, this simply does not work correctly, with control surfacebehaviour and direction being completely wrong. I set up a delta /elevon bench test today and confirmed this weird configuration.I fly mode 1 ( throttle right )First, I used a 6100E Rx with my DX7 and plugged the left wing aileron servo into the AIL port and right aileron servo into ELEVATOR port - as the manual suggests. With no servo reverse set this configuration was correct, and the servos all moved in the right direction for both elevator and aileron commands. I then bound the Rx to the DX6i and changed nothing.... but now the commands are all wrong with elevator commands operating the ailerons and aileron commands resulting in elevator movements ( and in the wrong direction too ).I then tried every configuration possible of reversing firstly one, and then both servo directions, but nothing would get it to operate correctly.Swopping the servo plugs over ( left wing into ELEVATOR port and right wing into AILERON port ) eventually resulted in the correct movements, but only after reversing the elevator servo direction in the Tx setup. Apart from the fact that the manual is therefore incorrect about the servo plugs / ports this proves that these two transmitters are NOT outputting the same channel info when in a delta /elevon mix config,and therefore without accessing the Rx and swopping plugs around each time,it is impossible to switch an elevon /flaperon model from a DX7 to a DX6i. Crazy!!

I would appreciate your comments.

Is this not simply a consequence of the DX7 and DX6i having completely different developmental bloodlines?  The DX7 is basically a JR transmitter up to the PPM stage with a Spektrum radio stage bundled in, the DX6i is a Spektrum design from the ground up and presumably sets the precedent for their future offerings.

Well that may be so, but as JR did all they could to try and convince us all that the Spektrum DX7 had nothing to do with them in the early days, plus the fact that they are both badged SPEKTRUM and both serviced imported and distrubuted by HH I would say that doesnt excuse it.

Still miffed as you can tell !