My first adventure in making blades

Thomas W Shelley

Firstly - this forum is an amazing resource considering that there isn't really that much info out there online, especially compared to other parts of the hobby. Can't wait to start a proper scratch build and share the process.

I recently picked up an auto-g2 as I would like to build my own gyro soon and I thought this would be a good intro into some of the key concepts. 

I bought the conversion kit and blade reinforcements from coolwind and have lovingly made some balsa blades with a spruce leading edge. 

All seems to be on course for covering and balancing etc however after checking CG cordwise then drilling the mounting hole I have noticed that they aren't all in exactly the same place. So this leads me to wonder - does it matter if they aren't all in exactly the same place, as long as they are all mounted on their CG respectively? 

Many thanks, Tom

19 hours ago, Thomas W Shelley said:

Firstly - this forum is an amazing resource considering that there isn't really that much info out there online, especially compared to other parts of the hobby. Can't wait to start a proper scratch build and share the process.

I recently picked up an auto-g2 as I would like to build my own gyro soon and I thought this would be a good intro into some of the key concepts. 

I bought the conversion kit and blade reinforcements from coolwind and have lovingly made some balsa blades with a spruce leading edge. 

All seems to be on course for covering and balancing etc however after checking CG cordwise then drilling the mounting hole I have noticed that they aren't all in exactly the same place. So this leads me to wonder - does it matter if they aren't all in exactly the same place, as long as they are all mounted on their CG respectively? 

Many thanks, Tom

Hi Tom, well done for having a go at blade making. Due  to the nature of home made blades the cord wise c of g will nearly always be different and in my experience makes no real difference in performance . With the commercially produced AJ blades, they always advised drilling the hole on the centre of lift for the airfoil section they used and gave a measurement from the leading edge. In fact that’s where  the full size gyro blades are mounted. What is much more important is that the blades are as close as possible in weight and the length wise balance point of each blade is the same. If weight is needed to equalise, that’s where it is put. Keep the leading edge as sharp as possible and remember you may need negative shim to increase spin up. 

Thanks Big T - that's reassuring. 

Thanks for your tips on balancing etc. There were some small fibreglass shims included in the stuff I got from coolwind - the downwards incidence isn't a lot, is there a rough guide about how much one needs? 

So much about autogyros still hurts my head, just so fascinating though.