That'll teach me...

Alex Leigh

I was hoping to go an meet some of my new club members today but it was pretty cold and 8/8ths clouds so it was decided to postpone. No worries I thought, I'll fly the Supercub. Sure it's a bit gusty and it might be a bit hard to see as the light is completely flat, but hey the last ten flights have been great and I've felt pretty much in control. I think you can see what's coming

Lessons learned

- Check the battery is REALLY charged. That way it won't fall out of the sky after two second and plunge headlong into the ground. Still no real damage done

- Don't mess with things you don't understand. In a moment of madness last night, I tried trimming the control services flat with a twist of the actuator thread. H'mm clearly not a process to be undertaken with a glass of decent red in the other hand.

- A white plane and a white sky do not make observation of said plane terribly simple.

Spare battery went in, cub went off completely untrimmed and I spent five minutes trying to get it flying straight and level. A process made more difficult but it bouncing about the windy sky, my inability to find the trim controls and THEN find where the model has gone and general incompetance.

I decided to get it down to have a look. What I found what it buried some way in the field after a wing over landing that I was never in control of. Amazingly all it broke was a prop, benty a wheel and creased the tailplane. Tough as old boots these cheap foamies!

I've run out of spare props which is probably a good thing today as there is clearly a big gap between ability and confidence Still picking up my 2nd hand TT trainer off a nice fella from this forum this afternoon. Needs a radio and it's good to go.

Oh and an instructor

Advert