Brushless Number of Poles?

Advert

Yes Ron I know that the magnet count is needed by the ESC to set timing correctly etc, but that wasnt quite what was asked.

To quote Brian Mulder

When you start looking for stators for motor building purposes, you will notice that they come in all sizes and pole counts.

The pole count is the number of teeth available for winding coils on.

For our purposes, a stator must have a number that is divisible by 3 in order that they can be used with commercial speed controllers. So this would mean that stators with 3, 6, 9, 12 etc are useable.

Seems to be some confusion here Ron

Sorry guys, I was a bit vague.

My question  was in regard to the number of poles to enter into my Eagletree e-logger to give a sensible RPM readout.

If I enter 12 for the number of coils I get a reading about 15% higher than I would expect. If I enter 14 for the number of magnets the mean speed seems about right but the trace develops so much noise it is hard to read.

It's the same as for the number of poles for a controller, you have to enter the number of magnetpoles, not the teeth/statorpoles/slots.
A magnet passing a coil generates a voltage pulse in that coil. The controller detects and counts those pulses. The number of magnetpoles passing a coil per second is an indication for rpm. If you enter 12, the datalogger divides the number of pulses by 6 to get revs/sec, if you enter 14, the number of pulses gets divided by 7 to get revs/sec. Hence the difference of 15%, it all adds up very nicely If the noise is too bad, just keep on using 12 (or 10) and subtract 15% (or 40%) of the reat out you get.

Some manufacturers (e.g. www.flyware.de & www.rs-e-motoren.de) use tiled/cascaded magnets in their biggies to create one larger single magnet from several smaller ones to get a better fit in the bell. That larger magnet still counts as one magnetpole.

Only for motor-builders/winders is the difference between statorpoles and magnetpoles relevant (it determines the winding diagram), for all other e-flyers poles = magnetpoles.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron

tiled/cascaded magnets

Before you honour your Philistine inclinations, what Turnigy would that be? Link? Maybe I can give you the number of magnets (probably 14 anyway), without you having to tear it apart.

Careful when sliding the bell back on, very strong magnets, don't let the bell slam home. Bad for your ball bearings. Better use an extra pair of hands.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron