Tips and Tricks about flying in windy weather

Jon

Some of you have been flying for more years than you'd like to admit
So how about letting us newbies into a few of your secrets and tricks that maybe need a bit of wind before they are possible

I have managed to hover my trainer a few feet of the deck while facing into the wind by controlling the motor speed etc.  I have also cartwheeled while trying to  land in a gusty crosswind.

But I'm sure many of you will have perfected plenty more skills that you maybe now just take for granted.

Come on chaps let us in on it, how good are you really in the wind
Jon

Advert

My golden rule is...When the wind does blow, I don't go.

Small models just do not like wind. Larger models actually fly better in some wind.
Tail draggers are a b...h and you need to put the twirly part facing straight into it for take off & landing.
My club has tarred runways so there are only 3 options and the wind just does'nt play the game and is usuallty cross all runways.

My Super Stearman always veers off just before V2 so the take off is a bit hairy in crosswinds. Landings look cool with the plane coming in sideways though.

I was at the field last Sunday trying to maiden my B25 and it just loved some wind. Did'nt take to the air due to a nosewheel problem but was very stable on the aborted take off roll.

I trust all in the UK are getting some snow flying in.

Our clubs strip runs north south and the grass is even cut sometimes! So I have had to learn to get down onto it in cross winds. I don't find that such a great problem but was rather hoping that somebody would come on here and give a few hints about some tricks in the sky that they have learned to do using the wind. Or some things maybe to watch out for that may cause problems.

Obviously to much  or  gusty wind is to be voided. But I remember an old guy once telling me to watch the birds flying and also the flies & bugs hovering just above the grass on a hot summers day, good time to launch yer glider he said. Is this any benefit to heavier powered planes?

In a different thread on this forum there's a very good write up about Lipos in the cold what other effects will heat or cold have on a plane or its instalation?

Jon