Foamie Dave's Tiger Moth

Phil Winks

Advert

• 2 weeks later...
Well, at long last here it is - my tatty, bendy Tiger Moth. No need for paint when you use nice bright blue EPP - saves weight !  

Talking weight - I am just about spot on with a 2S 800 LiPO at 10g over the magic 227g (8 oz in old money). On an 8x4.3 I get 45 Watts at 6.6 volts which should be plenty.

Note the added carbon struts on the fin - just too bendy for me without them. Also note if you can the knitted scarf courtesy of the other half. Hope to do some hops in the local car park one evening this week before some hand launches at the field. Will report back.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Guys, well finally my Tiger Moth had its maiden flight. It was in a golf dome and she flew beautifully. One of our veterans did the honours while many looked on and offered encouragement. All were very impressed and she flew fast but straight. As you can see ten minutes later I;m still grinning. Its a wonderful feeling to see something you built fly. You can't get that from an ARF. Dave thank you for your hard work, I will build anything you design. This was great experience. Here's proof. Jack Higgins.

Edited By professor on 26/04/2009 02:52:30

Great job Professor Jack  !

Really chuffed the maiden went to plan , Just wait till you get her outside and get those barnstorming thumbs warmed up

Thanks again to eveyone that has posted comments and the great feedback (especially with all the pics) . It makes it all the graft worthwhile. ..much appreciated.

• 1 month later...
Love the sight guys just new to all this but am very enthusiastic. Gread thread, well done with the build phil.. i am using depron myself cause thats all i could get.... i was able to get a 3mm sheet and for the 5 mm im only able to get 6mm sheets. Guys do you think that will be ok.

Hi Justin,
same problem here so I used the 6mm and it worked out fine. I used 3mm half round CF on the front of the wings and sanded the 6mm down to 3mm front and back to give it a bit of an airfoil shape. Watching it fly I don't think it made much difference. I don't think I would bother next time.

Good luck with the build it's a great flying model. Can't wait for Dave's EDF.

Jack Higgins
Toronto.

Hi Justin , welcome aboard 

Like Jack has said , within reason anything should work fine, just tweak the plans to make things fit  . Take your time and get everything to line up (wings / tail / thrust angle etc)  and It should fly great. Depron is a little more fragile than EPP but once youve got  to grips with it you'll soon be on your way

EDF's still flying fine Jack, ...sun has just come out here so I'm off to the field in a few mins to get the thumbs warmed up

• 2 weeks later...
Well, it took 2 months from the photo shoot (see my previous post 13th April) but today I maidened my Moth. Bit of a wind - 3/4 knots it said but having given up finding a smooth 'runway' I launched her over the corn field adjacent to the strip and wow - away she went.

This is a really nice little 'plane! Flew straight and level hands off almost from the start but even on 50% rates, very sporty. After 5 minutes I landed - well did a low level stall onto the strip, had a check over the controls etc., and then re-launched for a further 10 minutes. Not bad - 15 minutes in a modest breeze on an 800 LiPO. I even managed a loop or two!

OK, thanks are due - to Foamie Dave for the design and Phil and others on the forum for valuable help and encouragement. This one will be a firm favourite of mine I can just tell.

• 2 weeks later...
Rigging  'wire' problem on my Moth.

I have been flying my Moth outside these past few weeks and the other Sunday launched in a slight breeze and to my horror found that right handed turns were almost impossible without very significant rudder input. I managed a 'landing' about 2 metres from an old timer who was about to launch a 2 metre biplane with a juicy 4 stroke up front . Having apologised (in French as I live in Brittany)  I had a quick check of the 'plane but could see nothing wrong so I re-launched and found the same happening again.

Back home I discovered that the lower left hand side 1mm carbon bracing rod was sitting in the correct position but the glue had parted from the rod/wing allowing the left hand lower wing tip to flex about a lot. Possibly under the loads of an aileron turn to the right the tip was moving such as to null out the effect of the ailerons. Could this be so?

All well now - but as indicated in Foamie Dave's build article, these braces are important  - 'omit at your peril ' Dave said.

Oh, once again - thanks for a great little flyer, roll on the next one!

The shifting rigging wires sounds like the problem to me as well mate.  I put a  tiny dab of hot melt glue on mine so help spread the load a little and stops them pulling through the foam. 

Glad yer still liking it, hopefully got a few more goodies pending on the drawing board..all totally different  so hopefully something for everyone

• 3 weeks later...
G'day dave just showing you a few pics of my build was great fun

the old depron wrap over was trickey but the other halfs hair dryer did the trick

i used auto car paint and just sprayed from a distance very thin coats....got away with it but wont use it again....

theres some of my hard ware etc .....as im just starting all this im still yet to get a transmitter and receiver...tax check soon

last but least my latest pic .....nely done

cheers for the free plan dave great fun to build and as my first depron / park-flyer plane build it was awsome ...... 
  although not finnished couldnt wait to give you guys a look

I had to double check mine was still on my desk   ..identical twins !!

Great job Justin, looks like you got it spot on...stealing the missus hair dryer always does the trick for the fus forming (just remember to not to put your solarfilm gun back in its place )

Fingers crossed for the maiden mate  !!

• 3 months later...

Still flying my Foamie Dave Moth when we have a calm day here in Brittany. The locals are all going into hibernation and trying to get me to the local indoor flying hall. Problem - my only 'slow' 'plane is the FD Moth (don't think an Easy Glider Pro will cut it!).

Anyone got experience of indoors with the Tiggy ?

Glad to see its still going strong GH.  Mine will be out at at weekend for our indoor  meetings.

If indoor flying is a totally new experience you'll find the walls and ceiling seem to move in on you as soon as you take off . The best advice I can give is the second you're airborne throttle back  and think about you're first turn as it'll be only a sceond or two away. Try and keep your turns flat until you get used to having no wind to help keep you aloft.

Its a bit of an eye opener at first but huge fun once you get to grips with it.

Go for the lightest lipos you can get hold of.  I use 2s360's in mine most of the time (about £3 each from UH / HK) and you can definately feel the difference. The bigger ones will be ok but you'll find it quite fast for the first few flight's but once you get used to it you'll be fine.

Best of luck matey.. & watch out for that gravity stuff