What kind of glow plug to use.

Jason Hopson

I was talking to my friend the other day at the field and we were trying to figure out what type of glow plug is the best for 2 stroke 46 motor.There is so many different types of plus.I was hopping that some of you vets could tell me the difference between the different plugs.I have been running RC long plugs  in my 46 and it has been working great.I guess my question is what would be the difference in an OS #8 and an OS #3.

Advert

I don't know the difference between the two plugs you state, but some plugs are "hotter" than others and this can affect the timing of the engine's firing. 

The only way to see if one plug is "better" than another is to try it, but given the full range of what is available it could be expensive to try them all.

If the one you are using works OK in all weathers, just carry on with that type.

A change of fuel can also sometimes affect the plug and a different heat rating could be called for.

There has been some discussion in the magazine about this, and there might well be a thread on this forum where people with more knowledge and experience than I have can throw more light on the matter.

Most engine manufacturers will indicate which plug to use in which engine, but some experimentation might be beneficial.

I have a recollection that Brian Winch advocates having a range of plugs of different "heats", try them in turn in a new engine and see which gives the best performance. Keep that plug in the engine and buy a new one of the same spec to replace it in your testing range of plugs.