Twister Storm

Edgar Playfoot

After a layoff of some 30-40 years from building and flying RC fixed wing, I thought I would like to try my hand at helicopter flying. I can fly the phoenix sim quite well but finding it difficult to convert to flying the real model. I have also struggled with the setting up of the computer radio. My last radio was a Skyleader proportional. I think I now understand most of my Spektrum DX6i except for the Gyro options and I wonder if anybody could explain these to me. The Gyro seems to work OK even with the Trany set at Inhibit!

Advert

Hi Edgar
Its nice to here from new members and to try to help you settel in to the heli thing, it is a mine feild of info out there, and the thing to do is read as much as you can as there is so meany good people out there to help you, as for the set up of the tx it is quite a personal thing, and every one has got a way to set it up, from my own point of vew I like to have the heli set up totaly rite mecanicaly first, so the trims on the tx are all at nutral to start with, and set the giro to heading hold 100% is a good starting point, so where the nose of the heli points, is where it says in the hover, but this is only my point of view and others may have difrent ways of setting it up, nice to chat and hope to read more of your progress in the future.
Happy hovering Owen.

sometimes it's worth taking it to your local club or model shop for some on-the-spot advice.

The gyro inhibit on the Tx is, as far as I remember, not inhibiting the gyro itself, but your ability to adjust the gain from the Tx. I personally don't have a Spektrum radio so I can't help you there, but unless you bought the heli from t'internet, you should be able to visit the shop for some after-sales service. At worst, they'll charge you maybe £20 for an hour setting it up.

If you're in West Yorkshire may I recommend Wings Wheels & Rotors in Bingley; Model Shop Leeds are also very helpful if you're out to the east of Leeds. Fast Lad in Barnsley are also very good, or so I'm told

Thanks for your comment John. At the moment I do not belong to a club. But I may have a word with Elite Models where I bought the heli. Its a grand day outside here in Kent and I have just drained my three lipos hovering in the garden with the tail towards me.

The trimming seems spot on. I did find that during a hover of  several minutes the tail would very slowly move left or right which I would need to correct. I assume that this is normal and that the Gyro would not be expected to keep the heli on exactly the same heading. It did an equal amount either way.

Hi Edgar

Its nice to hear that you are getting on with the heli, this is what its all about the first few hover's are mind blowing, and give you that real zing and the sence of acheivment, and getts the old adrenalin rushing round, so keep it up and enjoy.

Happy hovering Owen.

Thanks John. I have just had another session in the garden. This time I moved about a bit more and let the copter get sideways on. Nearly lost it once. Ended up in a heather bush. Fortunately no damage, put another battery in and carried on flying. Rotor blades now getting rather dirty with insects etc! Yes I must look to joining a club.