Dogflap previously known as catflap.

Alex Leigh

Dumb labrador puppy (10 months) decided he didn't want to be inside while my wife unloaded our new chickens. When he was a (smaller) pup, he used to squeeze through the catflap. Now he's not quite so small but apparently looking quite pleased with himself.

Now as a man becoming skilled with model repair, I'm looking at that, and then looking at balsa/ply/epoxy/carbon spars/hacksaws/bits of broken aircraft and thinking "What would the MF forum say"

I'm looking for an innovative solution here using those type of materials. Come on cheer me up, I've just found how much a new catflap costs!

Advert

Oh the pup got out alright. He was extremely pleased to be out as well apparently. We've rebuilt the door and installed a spare cat flap. I can vouch for the strength of five minute epoxy. I did just pull back from installing a carbon spar!

We've got a cat, it spends its' time hating the dog!

I had a similar experience and smashed cat flap earlier this week. We have 2 cats and we set the flap so the could come in but not get out (we wanted the in). However, a large feral cat came in to eat their food leftovers. I surprised it in the act but before I go anywhere near it it had totality  destroyed the cat flap and was gone. I is interesting how strong these small animals can be when scared.

• 2 weeks later...