Old JR Tx battery pack voltage and connector

David E

I've picked up and old 2nd hand JR Apex Heli Tx for buddy box use, but it doesn't have a battery pack. (The Tx looks like it has dropped out of the 80s! ) Unfortuntaly I was told that for buddy box use, no battery pack is needed, but I now understand for JR this isn't the case.

I was wondering what voltage the battery pack uses? The space in the back looks like it could be for an 8x AA pack, but I'm not certain.

I also don't know what connector it uses. It looks as though it could be the same connector that servos use, is this likely? Only two pins are connected. Is this a standard battery pack that I could buy off the shelf today or are they obsolete? I could make a pack using solder-tagged NiMH AAs, heatshrink, and a servo extension lead, but it looks like it's no cheaper than buying one complete.

Also, if anyone thinks that this is likely not to work with a DX7 as the master, it would be good to know!

Thanks,

Dave

Advert

Managed to find an answer to the battery issue - apparently it is a servo plug, MacGregor don't have the packs anymore, so I'll hack up a servo extension lead and a battery pack. It is 9.6V, anyway.

As for the DX7 question, it seems the only way to find out is try it!

I don't know if the fact that it's PPM not PCM will cause any problems?

I never imagined compatibility between radio gear would be so complicated.  I've been looking at whether it's feasible to use the old JR transmitter once I go solo, but having found out that it's PPM Single Side Shift, it will only work with older receivers, and that the range is likely to be reduced unless I can find a really old receiver that is PPM SSS.