STARTER with build in battery

Lindsay WYLES

Hi, the other day I got a new electric starter motor for my new four-stroke. I've been thinking why I lug the flight box around. The answer being it has the 12V battery & power panel to operate the starter.

My question is dose someone make a suitable 12V battery that goes onto the starter, to make it more user friendly, or can you get a metal bit that would hold the rubber piece, to go into a cheap Chinese cordless drill, has anyone done this?

Also could an article be on attaching a small 12V battery to the starter to make it really portable.

Advert

Here's an Idea. I found an old german army backpack frame at the flea market and zip-tied the 12V battery to the bottom tray of the frame, and the starter, I can just reach behind me and grab it or put it up. The tray sits at about the small of the back. I use a Camelback for my nitro, and attach it with zip ties to the frame and that hose is readily accessible as well. For a glow starter, I velcro-taped a "C" cell battery to the frame of my heli with alligator clips at either end, one attached to the glo plug, and the other clipped onto the skid. I just attach the ali clip to the engine mount bolt, starter-up, then clip it back to the skid. It all makes a really light pack. When I'm having trouble "tuning", I just walk up to the heli, make adjustments, then up she goes. No more "Walk of Shame"

I tforgot to add, I triedthat bit with the battery attached to the starter, and it becomes unwieldy and somewhat troublesome to use. With my current setup, the weight is more distributed and less noticeable, and less fatigue on the hand when I'm having tuning issues.