Design Question EDF- how much thrust

Hi

I'm attempting to build a EDF airliner, a SuperVC10. It will mainly a foam model of probalby about 50-60" wingspan. I'm reading 2 books on aerodymanics for models and I still can't work out what I need.
My question is if my model weighs 6 pounds for example do I need 6 pounds of thrust.

I want it to fly in a scale like manner so I won't be performing wild and crazy manevours, (if I could!). Is ther a rule of thumb say for 6 pound model you need 3 pounds of thrust. I'll probably use 4 GWS 55mm EDF units with brushless and Lipo's

Thanks for any advice

keith

Advert

hi keith
basically i work on get as much as you can 6lbs to 6lbs would be almost unlimited vertical so 6lbs on an airliner would probably be a little excessive.
BUT with EDF static thrust does not tell you everything its a lot deeper than that with EDF/turbines as well. dynamic thrust seems to be more important but then i could write for hours trying to explain it. all i can say is ask on all the internet forums and see what you can find out as someone may have already tried what you are suggesting
regards
nasa