Maplins Digital Multimeter

IanN

Not exactly a high precsion instrument, nor the most fully featured multimeter. However, perfectly adequate for carrying out basic checks (including for the dreaded black wire corrosion).
Not only just £5.99, but in my local Maplins currently buy one, get one free.
Get one for yourself, and leave the other in the hut at the field for all to use!

I think the only really sure way of checking for black wire corrosion is a visual inspection. There is a certain trader ( well known on the "other" forum ) who sells servo cable with a clear plastic insulation on the negative wire to assist this.
The offer on these meters appears nationwide, and with a 10 A DC current range, they are V Good buy - well spotted :)

Agree that a visual check is the best option, though that's rarely possible without stripping the insulation. I'm no electronics expert but with the meter at least you have a fighting chance of spotting poor conductivity in time to take remedial action.
Re BWC there's an interesting article in July AMI (the issue with the Bearcat on the cover). Seems like its not only the neg lead that's at risk...