project SuperSnipe: V-Tail or Conventional?

You may have read here Im rebuilding a 1980's vintage SuperSnipe 6' span sloper I've acqquired.
The rear fus section had previosly been repaired to the point where it resembled a banana and the entire tailplane was askew.
I've stripped the solarfilm and cut off the damaged section. Further inspection reveals cracks along the fus and poor assembly from factory.
Im going to scarf in a complete new rear fus section and construct a new tail.

Now regarding the tail.
Originally it was a 2 ch conventional fin and stabilizer fitted to the top of the tail fus section. the horizontal stab being inline with the wings. The elevator was one piece and the rudder positioned above and with a cut out for the elevator.
Whether any of this has been modified I don't know. Considering there was 10oz of lead in the nose I don't think it performed entirely as designed!

I've been thinking of the merits of constructing a conventional tail or V tail.
Since I intend training on this model and progressing to faster slopers I like the idea of a V tail. It's asthetically pleasing (to me) and provides me with the chance to play with v-tail mixing.
Im not entirely sure how well V-tails control without the aid of ailerons though.
The reason Im unsure of constructing a conventional tail is to do with incident angle and alignment. Since the rear section was so damaged and bodged i can't see exactly how the designers intended it. Im unsure of what incident angle it needs as I don't know what sort of attitude the glider flies at. If I get the angles wrong it will mean the entire trim will be based upon making the aircraft fly true rather than the aircraft being made to fly true.
A v-tail eliminates this.
So considering the fus section is box section balsa whats the best way of actually constructing a V tail?
I had planned on using 90 deg triangular section balsa to provide the offset angle. by gluing the fin bases to this and then using further trangle sections I can construct a 'square section block with the fins sandwiched between. The block can then be fixed to the fus by the balsa sides and top gluing straight on (after getting profile correct).
How are v's normally done on simple balsa models?

Advert

Decided to go conventional.
After researching v tail theory i've decided its going to be harder to mount at a good angle (110 ish) and for a 2 ch trainer there is no benefit.
busy now working out longitudinal axis and main wing incident so i can set the tail correctly.
all good fun.