Balsa weight

Terence Lynock

Good idea is buy a cheap digital scale to weigh up to 500g that will fit in your pocket or whatever, take it to the model shop and weigh the lengths of Balsa you buy to match them for weight,.
Sheets of Balsa can look identical in colour and texture but a sheet of 1.5mm 4''x36'' can vary by as much as 10g, when building wings this is bad news so make sure you weigh all the Balsa you use,

regards,      Terry

Advert

Coincidentally, I weighed all the stock in my shed yesterday and fully endorse the above.

Checking my 1/16, 3/32, 1/8 and 1/4 sheets (36 x 4) there's a minimum 25% weight variation between the lightest and heaviest in each size. Interestingly, the sheets that looked the hardest weren't always the heaviest.

When building a wing i checked some 1/16th sheet and found some of it weighed 12g and identical looking sheets weighed in at 20g so for lateral balance its best to match your sheets, as you say you just cant rely on looks.
I have a block of 1.5'' square about 2 feet long that has the same surface texture and colour as soft Balsa to look at but it is so hard a knife wont touch it, you could quite easily nail a model together made of the stuff,

regards,       Terry