Receivers for Slope Soarer

Paul Newell 2

Looking at Spektrum 6 channel receiver choice for use in a Luna II and am having difficulty in working out positioning of aerials away from the large slug of lead ballast.

Choice seems to be AR6250 carbon friendly Rx with aerials forward of the ballast but close to two servos.  Alternative could be AR6200 with the satellite receiver changed to the SPM9546 which would allow its long carbon friendly aerial to be in the tail boom behind the ballast.  Problem with this is that the pre-installed carbon elevator pushrod might end up close to the aerial.

Anybody had any experience of this or similar installation?

Advert

I know Andy E has a done a few of these now..... so may advise further, however, I would expect that your second scenario would be fine. Even if the satellite rx was near the CF pushrods, the actual aerials would still be external, and the main RX would be in the fuse.
Besides, I thought the Luna was glass fuselage...not C/F. If so, you dont need C/F friendly receivers at all.... any Rx will be fine inside fibreglass.

So, considering that the Luna is glass and only has a carbon elevator pushrod, the issue seems to be the lead noseweight and ballast.

I have a PMP Bedlam with lead nose weight and ballast.

Using an AR 6200 with one receiver next to the nose weight and one next to the ballast, there are no problems.

A simple range test will tell.

Your next issue will be crow braking with a 6 channel receiver.

Please let me know if you have cracked this one.

Thanks guys.

My Luna is glass but has a substantial carbon tow area under the wing seating.  It is the lead ballast in the tube under the wing that concerns me.

When I firsy got my 2.4GHz I put an AR6250 in an old balsa fuselaged model with the receiver between the noseweight/battery and the servos. i.e. where a 35MHz Schulze had been.  The aerila were at 11 and 2 o'clock above the servos.  I got 3 fades in about 2 hours flying and out this down to the noseweight/battery blanking the signla when noseon.  Moving the receiver behind the servos so the aerial are near the wing trailing edge has seen about 10 hours problem free use.

I have two AR500s in models where the long aerial passes over hte top of the servos so the active end is under the wing - again no problem.  A pity that the AR6250 does not hav ethe longer aerials but I guess it is intended for things like discus hand launch models.

Crwo braking is not a problem with ny JR DSX9 tx - in glider mode it is a preprogrammed function on a 6 channel rx.

I think I will run with the AR6200 and carbon friendly satellite combination.  If I fit an aerila guide tube before assembling the fuselage parts I can route the long aeril down the inside of the tailboom and keep the active bit clear of the CF pushrods.  This seems to be what the eSoaring guys are doing on their models to get the aerials away from the lipo batteries.