How to calculate the C of G on a swept wing aircraft

Handyman

Hi everybody, Handyman on the prowl again. I have aquired a foamy F86 Sabre aircraft from a company called Winsky.  I am doing a few mods to improve the overall looks of the aircraft, and to improve the performance.
Its powered by a 64mm EDF, but I have managed to get a slightly larger battery with more capacity than the standard one,into the fuselage, but I am unsure how to calculate the C of G on this type of plane.
I seem to remember that someone covered this point in the RCM&E some years ago, but I only keep my mags for the last 3 years.
Can any of you wise old owls enlighten this old wrinkly.

Advert

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Bruce for the link to the Flying wing C of G calculator, but will it work for my Sabre. It has a fuselage, plus tha horizontal stabiliser, plus the rudder to take into account. Hey Timbo, how did you calculate the C of G on your Hawk aircraft.  I am loathe
to just "Chuck it and see"

Anyone got any ideas ?????

Hi Timbo, thanks for that offer. My Sabre is only a Tich of 32 inches  in old money across the span, I have not yet measured the angle of sweep of the wings, but I am in the tarting up stage, so I will have to get it assembled and do the calculations.  With all of my other straight forward aircraft, if I was not sure of the C of G, I would place it roughly one third of the chord and then adjust from there. One thing is for certain, it's giving the old grey cells a workout.

Where's Einstein when you need him.

Hey that was quick work. I got my Sabre from a company called Winsky in China. I have been having an email chat with one of the people who run this company. When I got my Sabre, they had decided, in their wisdom to bottom hinge the ailerons.  I found that up aileron was limited but bags of down.  I queried this, and now they are asking me, how we hinge our control surfaces in the UK.

Do you think there is scope here for commision as a production adviser.  he seems quite a nice bloke, with the name of Bruce Huayau. I have just  received a barebones F86 from him, for me to make up my way. You can see this Sabre flying on www.bananahobby.com.  not had mine up as yet, but power seems ok. On a 3s 2200 lipo I am getting around 190 watts, but thats static. I think that it should reach the magic 200 watts once it uploads in the ether.

The finish on yours looks good for a foamy, can you recommend a foam friendly paint in silver and yellow. Would Acrylics or Enamels be ok. I need to touch up one or two surfaces, or  even a complete respray.I have used profilm on some of the  parts and it sems to go on quite well as long as the undersurface is well prepared.

My Sabre flies plenty fast enough on 110 watts per pound. Of coure, your 190 Watts means little unless we know the final AUW but dont be fooled into thinking these little lightweight things need hiuge power ratios - they dont. In fact mine flew noticeably worse when I fitted a 1500ma pack instead of the usual 1200...power increased slightly due to voltage holding better, but the few extra grams of weight spoiled things.
The finish on the ALFA models is superb - partly why they cost  few bob more than many.
Silver paint in acrylic version never seems to be good to me, and I fear enamel could get heavy. Styrofoam do a line of spray cans that are foam friendly...not sure of colour range though.

I think your old eyes are giving out Timbo, I have just been watching the F86 flight on the Banana hobby site. Go onto their site,click on RC Jets,then scroll down until you see the Sabre. Click on it and a description opens up with lots of still photo's of "Mikes Bird" as the jet is called. A young lad called Peter does the spiel and the demo flight.  I am looking forward to getting mine airborne.
I will have a look at the Styrofoam website and see what I can come up with. Thanks again for the advice.  Tony.