Engine choice for Duncan Hutson Tiger Moth

Ed Kershaw

• 3 weeks later...
That's a technical looking job, Tim.  Very state of the art!  I had a similar idea for my GP Stearman, but doing it the "old fashioned" way with a lipo 10s setup.  The CG did come out right on the nail, though, with no weight added (the kit calls for 18oz inside a plywood box on top of the OS120).  AUW a shade under 14 lbs.  I do like light aeroplanes!  I think there's a good chance it can work on a tiggy because there's so much room under the bonnet, and an equivalent outrunner is so small.  This is a modified Scorpion 4035-600 heli motor - rewound for 195kV.  It's only 435g and delivers over 2kW.

My Flair tiggie weighed in at about 17 lb and that included a lump of unmentionable at the front end. The undercarriage works very well and I fitted a modified version to a 1/4 scale Jungmeister and that also works well. I added a locknut to the cross brace because even with a nylock nut it seemed to come loose.
Bob