Stein/Galaxy Typhoon

Mike K 3

I recently received from an online friend a crash damaged Stein Typhoon. I recall reading that it is the same as the Galaxy Typhoon. In any event it's gone back together nicely and I'm searching for a proven CG measurement. My friend crashed it a few times so each repair has added weight. It's up to nearly 4 pounds now which is a bit portly. At this weight I'd really like the CG correct from the go. I have a feeling it'll be a bit of a hand full. On 3s the motor/prop make 500 watts. Did some taxi testing on the lawn and it does scoot. I'll get some photos up soon. Mike

Advert

I've sent this as a PM as well because the last two attempts to post it here failed!

------------------
I don't think the galaxy typhoon is the same kit - the stein warbirds are imported into the UK by Phil Craft at Fighter Aces (www.fighteraces.co.uk - look under "small scale kits") and if you email him he may be able to answer your question if he has one of the Typhoons in stock that he can look at. I hyave one of the Typhoon kits (it's probably next in the building queue) and I would pop out to the workshop to look at the instructions for you if it wasn't persisting down with rain at the moment (perhaps tomorrow!).

There are quite a few threads on these kits on RCGroups, and I think one of the typhoon ones discusses CG positions; search RCGroups for "stein warbired typhoon" or similar to find them. The Americans tend to build them very heavy, with lots of glass skinning, vast amounts of filler and paint, and usually flaps/retracts as well. They seem to get them up to the 6lb mark(!) and then complain that they are tip-stally at low speed. At lower weights (3-4lbs) I gather they're fine.

PDR

Pete--  Your post still ins't appearing for some reason.  In any event, even though this is an American built Typhoon she comes in at a slightly chubby 4 pounds with lots of paint and repair material and even retracts.  If I was building one from new rather than a much repaired second hand job I feel certain that I could bring her in with an AUW of around 3 pounds.  If I wasn't scratchbuilding one in a 48" span from reduced TN plans I'd look for another Stein Tiffie just to see what i could make of it. 

Pavel Stein sent me an email PDF of the plans booklet and it shows a CG of 55mm which seems terribly nose heavy.  Others have flown it from 60mm to 70mm if I remember correctly.  Mine is slightly nose down at 64mm so I'd say an even balance of about 60mm. 

Pics tomorrow if I have a chance.  Tomorrow should be the remaiden weather permitting.  Fingers crossed.

Mike