DSM2

Ash

Ok fellas this could leave me looking like a bit of a tool. I'm in the market for a new 9 or 10 channel transmitter of the 2.4ghz variety and I understand how the futaba fasst method works but i was wondering how the dsm2 method works. My understanding so far is that when the transmitter is turned on it will select two unoccupied say 1 and 2 and transmits on channel 1. If channel 1 is interrupted it will switch to channel 2. What I would like to know is if it will then select channel 3 as a backup or what happens if 1 and 2 both get blocked.

Also if you respond to this thread and you use a 9 or 10 channel transmitter please list it below your response.

Advert

It selects and uses both channels simultaneously....it doesnt switch from one to another, relying instead on the likelihood that at least one will remain solid if one goes duff  IYSWIM
If both 1 and 2 dies, then your in trouble....however the cances of that are very small - dont ask me the numbers, but some geeky person will probably know.
It does not select a third under any circumstances.
You may find this interesting, and THIS too

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 11/02/2010 09:14:12

The DSSS system uses a unique encoding key for your transmitter/receiver.
 It transmits in short bursts and has an expanded bandwidth (spread spectrum).
 It is unaffected by noise and several systems can operate on the band simultaneously, your receiver will just ignore any signals without it's key.
The wanted information is recovered by the receiver in a dispreading operation. (The receiver is the clever part of the system).
I wouldn't worry about loosing both channels simultaneously, it just will not happen provided the system is correctly set up and used accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Ash on 11/02/2010 06:38:01:
Ok fellas this could leave me looking like a bit of a tool. I'm in the market for a new 9 or 10 channel transmitter of the 2.4ghz variety and I understand how the futaba fasst method works but i was wondering how the dsm2 method works. My understanding so far is that when the transmitter is turned on it will select two unoccupied say 1 and 2 and transmits on channel 1. If channel 1 is interrupted it will switch to channel 2. What I would like to know is if it will then select channel 3 as a backup or what happens if 1 and 2 both get blocked.

Also if you respond to this thread and you use a 9 or 10 channel transmitter please list it below your response.

It works "on a wing and a prayer" This 2.4G stuff is all good.