Imax B6AC+ balance charger

I’ve had an Imax B6AC+ balance charger for nearly a year now and its given good service. Until now.

Last weekend I plugged in my lipo and switched on, programmed the settings and started to do a couple of chores in my workshop. After about five minutes there was a loud pop. I went over to investigate and found that the moulded on mains three pin plug had neatly dissected its self from the power cable! I was more than a little amazed by this, but the rest of the cable looked ok, so I put it down to a minor short (is there such a thing?) in the cable and proceeded to wire another plug on.

I must admit I was not happy with the thought of using the power cable so this weekend I picked it up for a closer examination and it fell in half in my hand! I’m lucky that the cable was not plugged in at the time otherwise I could have had a bit of a jolt. I also noticed that another section of the outer sheath had split as well.

What caused this? I know it’s been rather cold of late but all my other cables/extension leads in the workshop are fine and not brittle. I've never had one blow itself/fall apart before. I don't whirl the cable around trying to imitate a helicopter, it just sits on my bench and never moves.

If you have an Imax charger please check your power cable with care. Better safe than sorry. Me, I now have a charger that I can't use as the socket on the charger does not match with anything I have.

Advert

Tony

Since it's a matter of public safety you should contact your local Trading Standards office who will get it investigated properly.

If you go back to your model shop they will simply give you a new one and forget about it.

Is the mains lead like This One?

Bert (safety test engineer)

Edited By Bert on 02/03/2010 16:20:26

Hi Bert,

My lead looks exactly like that - except its in two pieces! I have to say that looking closely at my cable there is probably more copper in a servo wire than there is in the power cable! I'm putting the fault down to the cold weather and inferior materials and, yes, I will be sending it to trading standards.

My local model shop told me that this was the second Imax power lead problem they had seen in a week, so this is not an isolated problem. They tried to contact Ripmax while I was in the shop but could not get through. I'll get a replacement lead but it makes me wonder how good the charger is itself.

Imax owners PLEASE check your power leads.

Tony

The lead will be an off-the-shelf item. It's most unlikely that the manufacturer of the charger will make it themselves so the charger quality isn't really in question.

The sooner you get it into Trading Standards the sooner they can act to get something done about it before someone gets hurt.

These leads may turn up elsewhere on other products - laptop power supplies are increasingly using this type of detachable mains lead.

Bert