How good is Phoenix?

Decky

Can anybody advise on how true to life Phoenix is for learning to fly the models featured on it (Wot4, scale aircraft, etc)? If I can master the moves on Phoenix ok how different will it be when I come to attempt it on the flying field? Thanks.

Decky

Edited By Decky on 08/03/2010 21:31:53

Advert

I've seen Phoenix on a club talk night, looks good!

I've used RealFlight from version 2.0 onwards, and probably had 100hrs before trying a real model.  I got interested in the simulator years before real models.

The real world has a bit more chaos than a simulator, although you can wind up the wind and turbulence.  The other key difference is that all the virtual models are well trimmed.

I feel that one can perform slideslip landings on a simulator that would result in a bin bag in the real world.

Simulators help you with orientation and recovery.  When something goes astray in the real world you'll put the inputs in instinctively.  Conversely they can give one too much confidence.  I'd clocked up over 100 flights before a proper crash, and it was a miserable experience that affected my flying for months.

I heard that adding 50p to the kids pocket money or a charity every virtual crash is a great way of preparing for the real world.

I had a personal goal to go from simulator to real world 'A' test in one day.  I'd made about 10 or so test flights in a field opposite my home.  The A didn't happen for three reasons.

a) My model was considered too light at 700g (there has since been a rule about this)

b) I did the whole 'A' sequence is a space not much bigger than a tennis court (this is not enough to prove that you are properly compensating for wind in the figure 8)

c) I flew at 10m height, didn't know any better, its one of the perspective things a simulator doesn't give you.

I was allowed to fly without a buddy lead from day 1 at the field, however I've been told on a number of occaisions that I over use the rudder.  I've tried to attribute this to our club instructors who seem to use the rudder as an airbrake.  However three years on I still get ribbed about simulator flying.

as mentioned before, there are loads of threads already on phoenix indeed i seem to remember answering this same question before. basically its very good, in my opinion the best sim around for one of the lowest prices (for a high end sim). Its taught me loads - i always vigorously practice any new maneouvre before flying it for real.

In the autumn I bought a Phoenix F/sim for my neighbour, who has never flown a model before and although it's not like flying out of doors he has made so much progress that he can control a real r/c model pretty well now.  The Phoenix teaches people the right 'touch' and gives newcomers confidence without using gallons of glue (not to mention the cost of repairs/new models).