Vic Smeed Popsie X2

I should have made the point that, like balsa, spruce does vary in weight - although not to the same extent. I have assumed close grained spruce (usually pretty dark in colour). Some open grained spruce can be a good bit lighter, but not as strong, as the close grained stuff.
Mike 

Advert

Hi Guys,
I have just joined the forum and, having recently finished a stock 'Popsie', hope you dont mind me posting a snap of my latest little fat friend on this thread.

I'd like to build a supersize version one day,... when space at home permits!

sparks

Posted by Barrie Dav 2 on 12/07/2010 10:22:17:
Hello Sparks.  Welcome to the forum.  Your Popsie looks pretty good.  Does it fly well?
 Thanks for your comments. I have flown the Popsie just a few times since completion a couple of weeks ago. So far I'm really impressed with the stable way that she wafts along. Take off's are smooth and steady, even off the fairly soft and uneven desert sand that I fly from. Landings are also really steady, she just floats in with a little bit of throttle on, she'll keep going even when the BEC has kicked in ( need to be careful not to discharge the lipo too much!).

So far I have only flown circuits, low fly pasts and banked turns so I can't comment on any potential aerobatic abilities. But, thats not really what the Popsie is about. I'm sure that she'll do fantastic loops, and the 28-20 motor with a 1000mAh 3s lipo provides far more power than she needs, even at 20+ oz.

Do you get the feeling I'm really pleased with her? Too true I am!

Sparks said...
"Landings are also really steady, she just floats in with a little bit of throttle on, she'll keep going even when the BEC has kicked in ( need to be careful not to discharge the lipo too much!)"

Those who know me will now cover their ears

ARRGH - ITS THE LVC THAT KICKS IN NOT THE BEC

Sorry for shouting but this one also yanks my chain

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 12/07/2010 12:26:05:
Sparks said...
"Landings are also really steady, she just floats in with a little bit of throttle on, she'll keep going even when the BEC has kicked in ( need to be careful not to discharge the lipo too much!)"

Those who know me will now cover their ears

ARRGH - ITS THE LVC THAT KICKS IN NOT THE BEC

Sorry for shouting but this one also yanks my chain

Sorry Tim, calm down, have a valium. I do know that its the LVC, I just got sidetracked at work whilst trying to post up the reply.

Actually, Bruce, I was thinking of posting a 'quasi' sequential build thread, as i did take progress photo's during a lot of the build. Clearly it would not be appropriate to hog this thread, especially as its a 2x specific as it started.

But, judging by the availability, low price and popularity of modern arf /rtf planes, maybe there's not sufficient interest in following an old fashioned 'stick & tissue (well ok solarfilm)' classic Smeedmeister, that many members would be bored by. I'd welcome comments from anyone on this.

For me, I love building, the torture of covering and the exhilaration of the flight, especially the maiden. It means so much more to me, knowing that I have cut, formed and glued every last piece of it, but i think i'm in a minority group. (and i'm fine with that thought)
sparks

Posted by Bruce Richards - Moderator on 15/07/2010 19:57:38:
When a plan (Popsie) gives a dihedral of say 3 1/2" is that under each wing tip or the total?

hi 
Bruce, the 3.5 inch should be under each wing. You can reduce this some from the original F/F design without significant detriment to airworthiness.
looking forward to seeing the build log of your X2
spark s