Building Popsie

Hi Alan,

Good to hear that you are building a Popsie, and lots of other things by the sound of it! Keep going, it will keep you young and you can relive those youthful moments!

As you may have noticed, I didn't buy the replikit balsa pack as I didn't know it existed until after I bought and started cutting balsa. But I'm sure it is good and a great way to get the build progressed and also get it done well.

For the power train, I used the Hacker style outrunner from Hobby King,

with an 18 or 25A ESC..I can't recall but will check later. 18 is probably enough but I think 25 may have been what I had available.

You could probably use any of those fairly cheap little outrunners that take up to 15A current on 3s in the Popsie. I'm sure it would do alright with something like an 8 x 6 on 2s too, but I havent tried it.

To be honest, the brushed motors I have had would also do the job, maybe with a gearbox, but I think that they are far too heavy for the output compared to the equivalent brushless outrunners.

I use a couple of different lipo packs, both 3s, one is a turnigy 1000mAH, the other is a Rhino 1250mAh. I usually run an 8 x 3.8 prop and sometimes an 8 x 4, the latter produces even more go, but I prefer the finer pitch prop to be honest. Both provide enough beans to fly well on just over half throttle and give over 10 minute flights with ease.

If you check out the RC groups forum, you will find a couple of other build logs for Popsie and also 'Aesop', which was posted by the Replikit designer, Vintage1. Both will give you lots of tips for the build if you feel you need more.

Otherwise, post on here and i'll help if I can.

happy landings

sparks

• 2 months later...
Advert

Hi Sparks,

Thanks for the interest. However, the kit is still in it's box, untouched ,basically, but also enclosed is the power train. Thanks for your information. I ordered two sets so I also have a set for the little powered glider.

I am still working mainly on the Moth and this morning I had hoped to complete the covering, but the best laid plans....... The original that I am working from is G-AEOA  and has a nice mid-blue coloured fuselage. I bought Solartex as near as I could match it and it is such a gorgeous colour that I would hope to use it on the Popsie if it would not be too heavy.

I have also repaired the wing of the broken Cessna and that is ready to go when outfitted with Rx and servos. I will have the Toot still to finish but plan to build Popsie alongside timewise so will be starting soon. However, I am thinking of installing ailerons.

Cheers for now. Alan.

Hey Alan,
Sounds like you are still busy! Keep at it, you will get there

I toyed with the idea of installing ailerons, but thought the better of it as I like the look of the dihedral wing. I did, however, reduce the dihedral by a small amount from the original free flight plan.

Actually, the Pops' flies really well and with a bit of care on the rudder and elevator can turn as tight as you like without ailerons so I don't think ailerons would give you any significant benefit in flight. It's no aerobat of course, but will barrel roll in its own bloaty way, even ailerons aren't going to make it a 3D plane

Anyway, it's your plane so you can build it however you like! Variety is the spice of life and all that ..

sparks