HELP for beginner - Futaba 2.4 and Pulso dl 60 amp

Marksw

Hi, I am completely new to model flying and building so my selection of plane and equipment was difficult. After many visits to the model shop and four months worth of buying RCM/E I purchased a Thunger Tiger Trainer OBL electric. After reading all the hype regarding controllers I bought the Futaba 2.4Ghz. I am now quite close to finishing the build (some would have completed the build in a night but it has taken me some weeks!) but I now have a dilema that I dont want to second guess. I bought a Pulso dl 60 amp ESC which the model shop me to connect to the 3rd port on the TX/RX, however when I do this it powers up the TX/RX even with the power switch set to off. I haven't charged the Lipo battery yet but it was connected but regardless of the throttle setting the motor did not spin. Could someone please tell me what could be wrong and why the TX/RX is powering up, maybe even tell me what i have done wrong. Any help is appreciated. Mark

Advert

Hi Mark...firstly your terminology for "controller" is wrong, the speed controller (ESC) is what is normally termed the controller and I think you meant the TRANSMITTER.

The Electronic Speed Controller ( ESC )  should be plugged into the throttle channel of the RECEIVER. Check your Futaba handbook for which channel number this is on your particular receiver.

The ESC will NOT operate the motor if you do not set it up correctly, and have the LiPo battery correctly charged, - the throttle stick on the tr also normally has to be in a certain position before you switch on.

I suggest you read the instructions carefully and completely for the radio set, and also the ESC, as they will NOT work correctly if you have not followed ALL the instructions in the correct sequence. 

irrespective of ANY "port" that you plug your ESC into on the receiver it can NEVER power up the transmitter as your terminiolgy suggests !! 

Do what I suggest first, then get back to us here, and we will see what else we do

Timbos on the case Mark & he's a star man so he will sort you out but could I just add (if you haven't already thought of it) please please please do not fit the prop or remove it if already fitted.

A novice "testing" or setting up an ESC could inadvertantly start the the motor spinning & if it's got a 10x6 prop fitted it WILL injure you.

Electric motors are sometimes not respected as much as "live fuel" engines but a 10x6 spinning at 10,000 rpm will injure you badly irrespective of what's driving it.....

Don't want to come over all 'elf & safety but I've seen too many prop injuries in my time...they ain't pretty!!!!

Other than that welcome to a great hobby & I wish you every success

Mark,

Channel 3 is the throttle on Futaba radios so make sure the ESC is plugged in to this channel, also make sure that channel 3 is set to reverse when using Futaba radio equipment with electronic speed controllers (ESC).  Also be careful,  a Power switch on a speed controller does not disarm (switch off) the power, only disconnecting the battery will ensure that there is no power going to the motor, so be very careful as Steve says. It's possible that the ESC is faulty, a vist back to your Local Model Shop may be in order.  

Steve is quite correct, electric powered props can inflict serious damage, and in fact they are actually potentially MORE dangerous than an IC powered prop. IC engines generally give up and quit if they are stopped /seriously obstructed from turning by a finger or similar being thrust into the rotating arc of the prop, however an electric motor by its very design nature will just keep trying even harder to keep turning, just consuming more and more power from the battery supply until either...The wiring /motor/ esc melt and "fuse", or the finger gets cut clean off out of the way !

Before we go thinking that the ESC is faulty, I think there are several procedures, as outlined, that need to be followed correctly. It is rare ( but of course not unknown ) that todays modern mass produced electronics are faulty "from the off". I think it is a case of ( as is usual with problems within this hobby ) operator error

I can not comment on the reversing of the throttle travel channel, as I do not use Futaba.

PS Yes...welcome to the hobby, and stay safe and have fun. An old ( and I think better than current ) slogan /motto of the BMFA was " Safe Flying Is No Accident"

Thanks for the replies so far. I will be working on my plane on Sunday so will let you know how successful I have been following your instructions. The prop will most definately stay off! I do hope it is operator error and I can find the error of my ways. Thanks again. Mark

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=260067&id=523478658

The image above (if you can view it) is a basic wiring diagram of the four main components where I have an issue. I have the motor (Thuder Tiger Ripper 36 series, without prop - thanks for the advice) connected to the ESC (Pulso DL60) which in turn is connected to my LiPo battery (Evo 25 3s) When I plug the ESC into the receiver on port 3 it powers up showing initally a red LED then going green. This is providing power to the two servos i currently have connected and power to the motor. Surely this shouldnt happen without the plane being switched on yet, or am I wrong? Please help again.

It is not uncommon for ESCs to immediately supply power ( certainly to the rcvr / servos ) as soon as it is connected. many ESCs have no switch at all, and power up everything immediately upon connection. The motor, although "powered" should not run of course, unless the throttle stick is advanced. Your "picture /diagram did not work.

Have you studied thoroughly the instructions for the ESC ? This is NOT a model of ESC I am familiar with.

Another thought...(I'm begining to sound like the 'Elf & Safety officer here...Gaaaaa!!). You don't mention turning on the Transmitter. Please always switch on your Transmitter before the Receiver. Unlikely with the new 2.4GHz stuff I know but its possible for a glitch to drive the ESC to "ON" & start the motor....not a problem at the moment cos you've no prop fitted (pats on head & offers chocolate drop ) but its a good habit to get into!!

Also with no transmitter signal the ESC should go into "failsafe" mode & shut down & whilst there will be power to the receiver & servos the motor won't (shouldn't!!) run.

Take a look at Lee Morgans guide to putting piccies on the forum here that may help or maybe email the picture to Timbo (or even me (blush!) but Timbos yer expert on sparky things.....

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 10/09/2010 07:45:40

I appreciate the help. I have been told that the ESC is designed to do this so that the LiPo can be used to power the servos but if I dont want this to be the case all I have to do is remove the middle pin on the ESC connector which connects to the receiver. (masking it up correctly so it cant short out) I have done this and the behavour is now what I would epect. Mark

Timbo It seems to be the only way I can power the servos down without unplugging the LiPo. I know this isnt much hassle but I wanted to have the servos and motor switched. I hope this makes sense! Please tell me if you think I have gone down the wrong path, bearing in mind my very badly described original problem was that as soon as I connected the LiPo to the ESC, the Reciever (which I incorrectly called the TX/RX) powered up supplying power to the servos, irrespective of the small on/off switch which I had installed and connected to port 6 on the receiver. Mark

As I already stated, connecting the battery will almost always power up the receiver and servos. It is supposed to.

I dont understand the bit about connecting the small on/off switch to port 6,  - any ESCs I have encountered that even have a switch, the switch is just wired into the ESC circuit board itself. The only connection to the receiver is by way of the servo style plug, which just plugs into the receiver throttle port. The small switch is probably just an arming switch which isolates the motor from the signal from the rcvr, it does NOT isolate the rcvr from rcving radio power from the battery, this is only done by disconnecting the battery. You are probably trying to overide a fundamental design of the ESC by trying to disconnect power to it by switches....I repeat... the receiver is normally designed to power up ( from a radio point of view ) immediately and permanently as soon as a battery is connected to the system. Providing the initial setup procedure has been correctly followed, and your transmitter is switched on first, with throttle set to low, the motor will NOT run....it will be "connected" but will not run, until a stick procedure is followed, which is normally.....throttle high, then low, then it is "armed". Most ESCs also have a fail safe setup which prevents the motor from spinning IF the system is switched on ( IE connected to the battery ) whilst the throttle stick is high. I do not know of he ESC you have bought. If you need more info, then I must have more info from you IE a link to the manual for the ESC or something..... 

As Timbo sez without some more info on this ESC I think it will be a struggle to offer any more assistance. I can't find the Pulso DL 60. The Pulso DL33 comes up courtesy of Sky Hobbies in Singapore but there are no details other than the basics.

IMHO you would be better off forgetting the extra switch etc until you get the ESC working as it is designed to do....connecting & disconnecting the battery to power Rx & servos (or not) works for the majority.

Connecting up the system should be pretty straight forward...the ESC has a set of three & a set of two wires plus the lead c/w the plug for the Rx. Plug this into the Rx (forget about removing one wire for now) it is usually channel 3 for throttle on Futaba plus you may need to reverse the operation of this channel. The set of two wires goes to the battery, making sure you connect the positive terminal from the battery to the positive wire on the ESC (usually red). The set of three wires goes to the motor.....it is not critical which wire on the ESC goes to which wire on the motor but if the motor then runs in reverse (ie clockwise seen from in front of the model) then swap any two wires over & it should run in the opposite direction.

That's basically it...the combo should now run when you open the throttle; assuming you don't need to go through an arming process as Timbo suggests & your best help here is the manual or slip of paper that came with the ESC...if you haven't got this then a quick note to who-ever supplied it should get you a copy.

Best of luck

Guys Your help has been great and I have severely over complicated the issue. As I would expect you have been completely right and it is now behaving normal when power is applied from the LiPo battery. The plane will hopefully go on its maiden flight this weekend (not in my hands of course, just yet) so please keep your fingers crossed. Mark

• 3 months later...

Mark

Everything Timbo & Steve have told you is right. read all of your papper work closely and you should be in good shape.

I use an off & on switch between the ESC & the Rx for added safety, and it works well.

As the Guys said good luck on the maiden!!!

Donnie 

And remember the golden rules!

1 - ALWAYS test motors/ESC's prop off [but don't run the motor up to full RPM static, with no prop on], when testing a new set up, and testing direction of rotation.

2 - As has been mentioned, if you are on Futaba, always reverse channel 3 [throttle] before connecting the ESC, this applies in all instances.

GOOD LUCK WITH THE MAIDEN!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Hi
 i'm a newbie here and slowly getting to grips with these LIPO's it looks like they can bite you in the butt if your not carefull.

I have just got a ST Model Blaze with a futaba 6ex and a r617ts reciever,
My question is
Is there a right or wrong way of connecting servo leads to the RX as it seems the plugs will fit in both ways.

Is there a right or wrong way of connecting servo leads to the RX as it seems the plugs will fit in both ways
                             ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Barry,   if you use Futaba  servos, the plugs will only fit the right way round, they have a "ridge"  that fits into a slot in the Rx socket.