Plans that are available - but then aren't

ntsmith

Posted by JOHN ADAMS on 11/02/2015 16:38:48:
Posted by Martyn K on 11/02/2015 13:47:56:

Just done a sanity check. I have got the SLIK-FLI (exact spelling) plan and I did purchase it from MHS about 2 years ago. It is indeed labelled RC 1035 and no, I cant find it on the MHS website either.

I have also experienced items disappearing from MHS - mainly canopies that were listed then suddenly disappearing when I needed it or usually queried it because the price was clearly wrong.

If you want to get a scan of the Slik Fli plan done - please PM me, I'll lend it to you, but strictly only for scanning and assuming that MHS don't come up with the goods

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 11/02/2015 13:50:10

Martyn,

Thank you for the kind offer. I will check that my local printers who scan plans for me is still in business. I may be able to get it reproduced from the pdf doc that Denis Parrkinson has offered me.

John

Looks like I'm making progress with the Slik Fli, the pdf.doc seems to be working and the local printers have been very helpful. I'm just trying to get some of the nitty gritty sorted like sourcing a canopy? I have see in a previous build thread that Vortex can help. I cannot get their website to work. are they still in business? Does anyone know of a supplier/manufacturer of 'bespoke' canopies?

Johnquestion

Advert

It's not difficult to make canopies. I have made several for such as an Easy Pigeon and a Kamco Kloudrider.

Carve a plug of the required shape with a bit extra on the bottom. Cut the plan outline of the canopy in a piece of ply allowing for it to be slightly bigger to accommodate the thickness of whatever sheet you are using to make the canopy. Mount the plug on a thick piece of ply with a 1/8 th ply spacer underneath and the outline piece in place over the plug. Drill a couple of holes through both to position some 1/4" dowel to act as guides cut a piece of the sheet for the canopy and make holes for the dowels. Pin the sheet to the underside of the plan outline ply, heat with a hot air gun then push the whole lot down over the plug and allow to cool. Trim as necessary and the job's done.

We used this method in a school workshop using acrylic sheet up to 1/4 inch in thickness but in this case we heated the acrylic in a small electric oven. Gloves were obviously needed to prevent burns to tender fingers.

Malcolm

Edited By Malcolm Fisher on 12/02/2015 21:06:52

It is funny how Google does a better job at searching this site than the built in search. Anyway back in March 2014 Steve Davis posted his contact details on a forum thread so I think it is OK to repeat them here.

"
Landline: (0116) 220 7080 After 18:00hrs weekdays. Daylight hours on Saturdays, or 'reasonable' hours on Sundays please.

Mobile number: No longer available -

We are available by email at: [email protected]

Many thanks Steve
"