Hangar9 Twin Otter

Steveflys

Advert

• 8 months later...
I've got an old 40LA and used to put it in a 30 trainer. I do think you lose something on the LA series.

However I have just bought a Hangar 9 Twin Otter and plan to electrify it. I have gone for the E-flite motors suggested and ESC's but am wondering about the servos suggested. I wondered whether they were overkill for this model? Can anyone else comment please?

Edited By Peter Roberts on 12/05/2011 14:53:04

Steve, The twin Otter does not require this amount of power, I fly mine on two ASP .36's and I think it is overpowered with these engines as I only use half throttle for the entire flight, it's a very slippery model, with a high lift wing.

Peter, The suggested servos are probably overkill, I used Hi-tec analogue 4kg torque metal servos all round except for the rudder which has a 6kg metal geared servo and seems fine, I am sorry I did not go the EP route as I've had one engine cut which was not pleasant, you need to get on the rudder immediately as mine turned into the dead engine very quickly even with such a large rudder area. It has no vices apart from this and flys like a big trainer, but needs flaps to slow the approach.

I know I started this thread last year but I never got around to buying the Twin Otter. Got sort of side-tracked, bought Global Rc Sbach with a DLE55 up front....totally awesome.

Still want another twin though, I'm waiting for the Black Horse Commander GP to arrive in the country. It looks fantastic, takes 2 x 46 two strokes and has twist and turn air operated retracts. Should be available June - July. Inwoods have it listed at £319.99. Hopefully I'll be able to pick one up at Wings and Wheels if its here by then.