Electric Glider motor cutting out.

I went to fly my electric powered glider "Early Bird",when it nosed into the ground on take off,no damage as far as I could see,untill I saw smoke coming off the motor,which I very quickly dissconnected from the battery.

When it hit the ground the battery pack was pushed forward onto the motor,which somehow must have shorted out the motor.not sure how.

Now it starts, runs erraticly for a few seconds and cuts out.one of the coil windings on the motor is black, obviously needs a new motor ,but what motor is it,and how much are they?

Advert

http://www.astecmodels.co.uk/products-big.php?gref=540.jpg

5 Pole @ £4.50 would be my choice. These motors are not normally found in airplanes these days, and as you can tell from the site, more suited to buggys and ground stuff.

Most electric assisted gliders used 400 /480 / 500/ class graupner style can brushed motors. But then again, I dont know much about brushed stuff at all these days, having gone brushless on all my electric stuff years ago....... so I could be way off !!

PS you may want to consider putting a piece od plastic card or similare at the back of the motor can, to prevent a similar short happening again ?

Sounds about right to me,I suppose as the prop had just hit the ground it may have been stuck in the grass ,got hot very quickly and burnt out one of the 3 windings.

If there was a dead short would that also blow the speed controller,I have tried the motor direct to the battery which seems o.k. but it could be running on 2 windings instead of 3.

When it runs through the speed controller it gradually slows down and stops.

• 10 months later...