Keith Park memorial

David perry 1

For months now my son has been badgering us to take him to London to see yesterdays unveiling of the KP memorial.  He felt some affinity for it as his birthday falls on Sept 15, Adlertag.

So yesterday my wife took him (I was working) and they stood for about three hours all told and watched the event and felt a lump rise as the Spitfire flew over.  My son loved it.

My wife said it was particularly emotional when they were all told about a conversation Park and Churchill had on seeing the swarms of German planes approach: WSC " There's an awful lot of them!", KP: "And every one will be met!"

My son was ten years old yesterday. Think he'll be Air Force?

I wish I'd been there in 1939. Men of England still abed, and all that!

David 

Advert

That must have been really inspiring, the sight of a spitfire over London some 70 years after the battle was considered to be won on that day in 1940. It seems a shame that it has taken that long to recognise the leadership shown by Keith Park and indeed  Hugh Dowding which led to the ultimate victory in the skies over england that summer.  I grew up living on the back of RAF Hornchurch which closed in 1963 and now you wouln't even know that there had been an airfield in existance let alone one that was a sector station and bore the brunt of the battle along with all the other 11 Group airfields. If I may just make one correction to your story in the guise of accuracy. Aldertag or Eagle Day as it became known was in fact August 13th 1940 when the battle was considered to start in earnest with attacks on several RAF AIrfields. Sept 15th is considered to be the day when the tide turned against the German onslaught and the plans for invasion were scrapped. Still of course a very significant day and a good day to have a birthday on so happy birthday to your son and long may he remember that day.

When he is 13 why not encourage him to join the Air Cadets especially if he is thinking about a career in the Air Force. I joined when I was 14 and at 55 I am still there as a Squadron Commander. Hope you don't mind my small correction.

Steve

Posted by Boss on 17/09/2010 10:13:54:
... It seems a shame that it has taken that long to recognise the leadership shown by Keith Park and indeed  Hugh Dowding which led to the ultimate victory in the skies over england that summer.

I noticed that the current discussions and new items gloss over the fact that Dowding was sacked immediately after the Battle of Britain, and Park shunted off to training command as if he was in disgrace.  

Putting up a statue 70 years later nowhere near rights that wrong.

Hear Hear,

Although Dowding was going to retire once the Battle was won the final insult was when he retired he was not promoted to Marshal of the RAF which was the norm at that time. Park as you say was shunted aside although he did make a come back during the latter part of the war and materminded the desert campaign. The rights and wrongs of 12 groups big wing theory have been debated at length, the fact remained that it took time to assemble 5 squadrons at the correct height and position to attack in numbers which normally meant that the bombers had hit the target and were on their way back when 12 group got to have a go. 11 group were too near the coast for the big wing to work and often 11 group squadrons had to gain height by flying inland first then turn to fight.

Mistakes were made on both sides and I think it fair to say that park and Leigh-Mallory never saw eye to eye and it was a combination of both tactics that worked, helped of course by the Germans biggest blunder which was the switch from airfields to bombing London.

There I will get off my historical soap box as I am going to the Hop Farm tomorrow.

Steve