My Wildcat Maiden

Mart61

Took the plank to Chobham Clump Model Flying Club today for it's maiden (and my first flight of a fixed wing model since 1991).

All in all the aircraft performed well. Needed a bit of trimming but, once trimmed, it flew nicely.

I did about 6 flights in all, some better than others. My last flight and landing were pretty darned good. I had the model under control and did an absolutely greased-in landing. Alas it was not being filmed.

As you'll see from the shots at the end, the Wildcat was not unscathed but still flies fine in spite of the damage!

Advert

Nice one Mart, not at all bad for the first flight in 19 years!  Just like riding a bike, eh?

Shame about the damage on landing but a couple of times in the vid I thought it was headed for an early landing, unless those dramatic low level swoops were all part of the plan?  I assume you're usually a heli flyer, have you got the FW bug back now?

Thanks Chris.  As much as I'd like to say my manoeuvres were all part of the plan, I'd be lying if I said they were.

Still, I managed to recover from them OK without losing orientation.

Yes, I mainly fly helis but, in truth, not that well.  I'm more of a sports flyer than 3D.

Not sure if I have the FW bug back yet - tis too early to tell.  However I did enjoy the latter of my flights once I'd got the aircraft trimmed.

What I can say is that, with a couple of minor crashes under my belt, a few hard landing too, the aircraft still flies.  With helis that would never have happened.

Edited By Mart61 on 03/10/2010 14:18:15

Edited By Mart61 on 03/10/2010 14:18:41

In that case I'm even more impressed by your recoveries from those somewhat daring manouevers! 

Hope you go on with it and get all the practice you need.  Funny how it gets easier with time, the fun really starts when you stop having to think about what you're doing.  

You're too kind Chris

At this point I'm minded of the four stages of competence.  I'd like to think I'm midway between 2 and 3...

1. Unconscious Incompetence
    The individual neither understands nor knows how to do something, nor recognizes the deficit, nor has a desire to address it.
  2. Conscious Incompetence
    Though the individual does not understand or know how to do something, he or she does recognize the deficit, without yet addressing it.
  3. Conscious Competence
    The individual understands or knows how to do something. However, demonstrating the skill or knowledge requires a great deal of consciousness or concentration.
  4. Unconscious Competence
    The individual has had so much practice with a skill that it becomes "second nature" and can be performed easily (often without concentrating too deeply). He or she may or may not be able to teach it to others, depending upon how and when it was learned.