Plasti-Kote Projekt Paint Fast dry enamel.

I thought this might be interesting to anyone building and or painting a larger foam model with a bare metal finish. The above mentioned is a water based paint, it comes in 59ml pots for brush painting.
The colour B35 Chrome dries to a finish that can simulate bare aluminium, to my eyes, and it does not attack foam.
My experience of it is this. I tried it out on some scrap foam from the model.
I would usually like to put on two or more thin coats, but when I tried one heavy coat it looked so good I tried that on the model. Disaster, looked like a four year old had been at it.

It had dried so quickly as I was applying it, it was dragging on the brush, so I had rushed it. So, to try and save it, I left the paint to dry for a long time and sanded it smooth using very fine dry sandpaper. Cleaned off the dust and using a 1/2" soft paintbrush dipping one corner, just into the paintpot, applied the same paint with very light strokes in the fore and aft direction. Now looks quite good as long as you don't get too close.

Although it says water based, it does not seem to like being thinned with a little water, so not sprayable. Also it might add a bit of weight, compared with other finishes. Worth trying though, especially as it does not have the disadvantages of a spray paint. (Masking, overspray etc.)

Advert