Acro Wot Cowl Cutting

Ron Harrison

Advert

Not an easy task Ron & one I rarely look forward to.....for what its worth this is what I do...

Fit the engine to the mount & then sellotape a sheet of clear plastic to the fuselage that can be folded over the engine (i use those plastic A4 document wallets that are open down two sides....cut open the other two sides & you have two A4 sheets of clear plastic!!).

Mark the cylinder head centre & diameter on the plastic sheet.

Fold back the plastic sheet & remove the engine.

Replace the cowl, fold the plastic sheet back over the surface of the cowl & mark through the plastic sheet (with a pin, drill whatever...or you could cut out the hole in the sheet if you prefer..)

Cut the hole to the correct size using a drill, file, Demel...whatever you have

Repeat above for silencer/NVA/whatever else needs to stick out.

Golden Rules.....1) Measure Twice Cut Once. 2) take small amounts off & check the fit frequently (its easy to take more off but very hard to put it back again!!!) 3) (Personal one this) Make sure you can reove the cowl without disturbing the engine silencer. Frequently taking the silencer off & replacing it will weaken the aluminium & lead to a stripped thread.....experience shows this will happen on a Saturday night before a perfect flying Sunday. Besides you don't need to take the exhaust off to remove the cowl on yer Cessna do you??

Just my 2p worth...hope it helps!!!