I have the A620 which is essentially similar to your A580 and it shoots brilliant video in the right hands. In my case the hands are my wife's. (Nearly all the stills in my albums are taken with it too).

When you switch the camera on in video mode, set it to maximum optical zoom and leave it there - on mine it's 4x but that is plenty as any more makes it very difficult to follow the model around the sky. Don't even think about using digital zoom because it's useless.

However it does mean that the model needs to be flown within a fairly tight area, and I find figure-eights, no too far or high work best. A few loops and rolls etc make it interesting. Low banking passes reasonably close look fantastic, but whoever uses the camera will need to be brave because the model looks a lot closer than it actuallly is through the zoom lens.

The most important thing to note is that the autofocus is set at the beginning of the video. So point the camera at a point at the far end of the field (infinity) and then press the shutter button to start recording. Then while continuing to record point at the model to record the take-off and flight. You must use the view-finder, as you will be unable to follow the model around the sky using the LCD screen. (It really annoys me that so few cameras have a view-finder these days - but your has!).

You should easily be able to get a few full flights on the SD card, but if you break the recording you must remember to refocus on infinity again when you restart, or the model will be out of focus.

If you've got Windows XP/Vista/7 you can import your movies and stills into Windows Movie-Maker and then use Widows DVD Maker to produce really professional-looking DVDs to play on your TV on a standard DVD player, and you can mix movies and stills, with commentary, titles and backing music all very easy to use.

You probably also have a rapid-fire stills mode on that camera and that is great for getting some great stills of low passes. Again use maximum optical zoom and remember to autofocus on infinity at the start.

Hope this is helpful. By all means PM me if I can be any more help.

Hello Romeo Whisky .Thanks for a really interesting run down, exactly what I needed, and in terms that I can understand. Cheers. The info on the auto focus was very interesting and important. It also answers another question regarding stopping shooting if the model moves too far away. A chat with the model pilot will be needed. Thank you again, also the offer of PM if needed. What a forum!