CMP?s P-47, Really good!

Michael  Graff

Hi all, I bought a CMP 120 size P-47 a couple a weeks ago.It looked very nice in the box and even more so when i started to examine it closer.There was a couple of things that I couldn´t relly live with, and that was the canopy (it looked as something that would be fitted on a Lloyd...) and the hinges, I don´t fancy those fuzzy hinges. The plane is already painted in a camouflage, consisting of olive drab / light olive drab and neutral grey on the underside. I wasn´t sure how fuelproof it was but when I tested some different kinds of solvents on it, I can only think it is some kind of matte epoxipaint. I didn´t want to use the decals provided as I don´t think they would adhere well on the matte paint. Instead I painted it to resemble a SEAC P-47. I painted on the markings with standard Tamiya paint, a Vargas pinup was added as I don´t think a warbird is complete without one. I clearcoated the entire airframe with Sikkens 2-K matte clear ( total amount of clear used: 1,2 dl). I made a new canopy of some 0,4 mm plywood and some clear plastic. I opted for pneumatic retracts so a pair of Spring-Air retracts was installed. I modified the hard points as they wasn´t up to the job. The engine I use is a Moki 23cc petrol engine. All up weight is a bit heavier than stated on the box, 5,3 Kg as opposed to 4-4,5 Kg. The test flight revealed that it is a really good flyer. Very stable and nice. I have the C of G at 11 cm (the instructions say 12-13 cm) and will put it a bit more to the rear. A very nice warbird that is a good value. A few pics I took before the maiden flight:

http://www.svensktmodellflyg.se/users/854/P-47_6.jpg

http://www.svensktmodellflyg.se/users/854/P-47_4.jpg

Advert