Another PSS project - This time a conversion!

Fly_Boy_Rez

A very good friend of mine at work passed on to me this 90-95% complete Grumman Avenger complete with Air retracts and a Brand new Webra 91. For a while I tried to get the retracts to work but as with many things it fell once again into disuse as other things came along and took my attention.

Now the time has come tog et the wind beneath her wings and heave her off a slope for some good old fashioned PSS fun.

More to follow...

Rez

• 1 month later...
As promised, more pics...
This is the spar I designed to sit within the wing to take the load once the wing was split in half.

I made up a plywood template against which the trusty router was used to get the bulk of the material out.

This shot shows the slot largely cutout with detail work remaining for the Dremel.
Test fit of the spar... a nice tight fit... so tight in fact that the cable ties nearly snapped gettting the spar back out again!

The MDF load spreaders are trimmed down to sit underflush.

Expanding foam was used to fill in the wheel wells for the retracting undercarriage.

That's it for tonight, more soon!

Cheers!

Rez

"Are you leaving the foam there, for landing on?"

LOL! Now there's a thought!
The excess foam is carefully shaped to permit the new spar to go in.
After the foam has set I used the dremel to recess it ready to accept a sheet balsa cap.
Like so...
Which is glued in and secured using large clamps and a sheet of plywood to load.
Pieces of balsa are cut to fit all the recesses
Some small holes to be filled and the lot sanded flush with the wing surface.
Next comes the splitting of the wing. Sadly I didn't get too many shots of this but here are a couple showing the end result.
I made up a sled into which the leading edge dowels located and screwed down onto a block at the trailing edge through the holes for the nylon wing bolts. Then it was simply a case of carefully pushing it through the table saw.
To ensure it all remained aligned throughout the original spar has been sacrificed by being cut through. A new spar has been made up and is again a nice snug fit.

Next job is to cap it off and start work on the aileron mounts.

Cheers for now!

Rez