Using Poly-C resin

Just got to say I'm loving the Poly-C stuff! Just covered a wing in it with Flair 0.6oz cloth (which of course drapes really nicely). Really good finish already and feels fairly good and strong. I'm sure it will make a nice base for the spray-paints after a bit of sanding to take of any nibs. As mentioned the wing tips are a bit tricky but some slitting and folding does the job nicely.

I epoxied the wing bandage so have recent epoxy experience and compared to all the faffing around Poly-C wins hands down. No druggy scales to measure the resins, no gloves, no knackered brushes after one use etc etc.

I'm a fan teeth 2 thumbs up

Advert

Well, have been Poly-C coating the asyfly wings, I'm a quarter of the way through and love the stuff.

I've only don the top surface of one wing, but the lack of smel means I can stick a coat on when I get home, add another before bed, and the final coat before pain the following morning. A lovely smooth hard finish and no messing around.

I've purchased an airbrush and some airbrush acrylics to go onto my compressor, so will be trying that once the wings are finished. Then just need to make a new canopy and fix the wing joiner (don't ask).

The plan at the moment is to do the top and bottom black and white respectivley but with different contrasting colours on left and right - pattern to be decided. Without the Poly C and then a Poly C top coat this would last no time at all. I'm expecting the whole thing to be much smoother flying and much stronger with a nice Poly C rather than bumpy foam.

I am building a Wafarer biplane with veneer covered foam wings of dubious quality, cracks etc. The solution I used to seal the veneer was to use an acrylic clear varnish from B&Q . This is quick drying 10-15 mins and did not soak into the veneer. Left for 24 hours it sanded well. The glass cloth was then applied with PolyC using a small sponge roller.