B.Taylor Mosquito retracts req'd

Hi all,

Well basically I am building a Brian Taylor dh mosquito, I was relying on unitracts supplying me with the retracts however they no longer make my model of retract.

I have asked my shop to make them, they took them but have got so much on they can't commit to them.
I have bought some parts and thought of ways to do the build myself but I just don't have the kit, ie lathe, pillar drill etc..

So I can't do anymore building until I can source some retracts or a builder who will take on the project. Can anyone help me, please I am desperate!.

Cheers for any help or advice.

Advert

Hi alan,

Yes the build is detailed on the plans, standard retracts would not be suitable really due to mounting and also internal components.
To make a scale leg up as well I would need to cut and machine parts.

If you look at sets on www.mossie.org and www.rcscalebuilder.com you will understand what I mean.

I am going to take some kit to work ( oil rigs) and see if I can nick the lathe after work, but this would be putting some hours on my 12 hour day.

Cheers.

• 9 months later...
Hi Craig,
Is your Mosquito project still ongoing?
I,m building the smaller BT version,or,to be accurate,trying to complete one largely built by Peter Cook. The uc assembly was made for Peter by a model engineer.Sadly ,the engineer is no longer with us,so no repeat possible. I have to confess that getting it to work and lock properly has been one of the most challenging and frustrating tasks in 60 years of aeromodelling. Looks impressive-beautiful metal-work-cannot bring myself to sheath it in balsa just yet- but every aspect of installation,mounting and adjustment is critical in the extreme.It is now working so remaining wood work can progress.Just adds to the respect due to Brian for his incredible modelling skills.Were I starting the model from scratch,would certainly look at simpler alternatives,perhaps these new electric units eg E-Flite might provide theanswer.Havent actually seen them in the flesh though.

Peter